Thread: First Over-Water Ever Flight

First Over-Water Ever Flight

I visited Governor's Island recently and was surprised to learn that Wilbur Wright made the very first ever over water flight from Governor's Island on September 29, 1909. Aviator Curtiss also used the Island on his return flight from Albany. The Island was supposed to become the City's first airfield but the plans fizzled-out. Visitors are welcomed every weekend during the summer and the tours and ferry are free.

Re: First Over-Water Ever Flight

I did not know that! What is there to do on Governor's Island? Last weekend, when I was wandering lower Manhattan, I saw people coming off the ferry, but didn't know what was going on there. Last time I was out there, it was still a USCG base.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1
    I visited Governor's Island recently and was surprised to learn that Wilbur Wright made the very first ever over water flight from Governor's Island on September 29, 1909. Aviator Curtiss also used the Island on his return flight from Albany. The Island was supposed to become the City's first airfield but the plans fizzled-out. Visitors are welcomed every weekend during the summer and the tours and ferry are free.
    They have a Summer Concert Series on Governor's Island. I know a few people that went last weekend. You can also get private tours. I have heard there are some great photo opportunities.

Eric
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I'm confused. You're saying the first over-water flight took off from Governor's Island, right?

If that's the case, how did they get the plane to the ISLAND without flying over water?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I'm confused. You're saying the first over-water flight took off from Governor's Island, right?
    If that's the case, how did they get the plane to the ISLAND without flying over water?
    Boat?

You'd have to ask Wilbur. That flight from Governor's Island, overflew the Statue of Liberty and went up the Hudson at under 1000 feet altitude. Curtis, I read, also landed there while returning from Albany in later years.

There's not too much to do on the Island and the southern half is closed to the public. Basically, you feel like you're walking in an historic area because the architecture is centuries old. The Island has a great history. Almost all of the buildings are closed to the public; including Admiral's House where Reagan and Gorbachev met for a Summit. There are a few exhibits. There's lots of space for picnics and relaxing and cool seabreezes. It's fun to watch ships and ferries pass by constantly. We got an awesome view of the Crown Princess docked in Brooklyn. Fishing, barbecuing, and swimming are prohibited. Photos are allowed everywhere. For plane enthusiasts, there's not much.

The Island was supposed to become the City's first airfield but the plans fizzled-out.
    Maybe it's not too late. There space down the middle for a 1500 foot runway :)
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty