Thread: The lost runway of JFK?

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

The lost runway of JFK?

I was looking at this old FAA diagram of KJFK and stumbled upon a great detail.

Look between the thresholds of runways 22R and 22L

looks like runway 14/32 was later paved over to make taxiway Echo connect
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I am well aware of this AND, the original Bruce Artwick flight simulators
    (later Microsoft) had this runway.

I would also try to shoot this runway in the Eastern 727 simulator.....
    Just enough fuel to make one takeoff and one landing....No go around
    possible, Light 727 can stop on this runway even tho it was for light
    aircraft and was situated north to keep general aircraft out of the way of
    the jets...
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

JFK eastern simulator

I think they had hoped to use that runway for STOL aircraft. Pilgrims Twin Otters. Eastern evaluated a 4 engine MD/french STOL aircraft at JFK. Not sure if they tried the short runway with it. I remember the Eastern 727 sim well. I worked mids at hgr 9 and often "flew' it on extended lunches. Amazing the changes in visuals. While the sim itself was remarkable the early visual system (state of the then art) was way way behind what we have now from microsoft. Passed many an enjoyable night there

Re: JFK eastern simulator

Quote Originally Posted by kevin323
    I think they had hoped to use that runway for STOL aircraft. Pilgrims Twin Otters. Eastern evaluated a 4 engine MD/french STOL aircraft at JFK. Not sure if they tried the short runway with it. I remember the Eastern 727 sim well. I worked mids at hgr 9 and often "flew' it on extended lunches. Amazing the changes in visuals. While the sim itself was remarkable the early visual system (state of the then art) was way way behind what we have now from microsoft. Passed many an enjoyable night there
    Did you ever play with the dusk mode or did you stick to night like we did?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Re: JFK eastern simulator

Quote Originally Posted by kevin323
    I believe they did in fact use that runway for Twin Otters and such.

I had thought the STOL aircraft for Eastern was testing at LGA, but if it was in fact JFK, now I know. Never seen (or can't remember) an image of that that aircraft. Does anyone know where there is one on-line?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Re: The lost runway of JFK?

It was called Runway 32 . During my time there , some Ransome Dash 7's along with some GA types used it on occasion.

LGA had a runway 32 as well , Pilgrim & Air New England used it for takeoffs with the Twin-Otters. It wasnt used for landings as far as I remember. today it is known as taxiway E

Notice the runway in the backround

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0127700/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0284101/L/