Thread: 2 killed, 4 injured as plane crashes into homes in Florida

2 killed, 4 injured as plane crashes into homes in Florida

(CNN) -- A small plane crashed into two homes Tuesday in Sanford, Florida, near Orlando, killing the pilot and the passenger on the aircraft and injuring four people, three of whom were critically burned, authorities said.

Smoke rises from homes hit by a small plane in Sanford, Florida, on Tuesday.

The two dead were believed to be the only people on the plane, Sanford Fire Department investigator Matt Minnetto told reporters.

The twin-engine Cessna 310, registered to Competitor Liaison Bureau, had taken off from Daytona Beach and was headed to Lakeland, Florida, when it declared an emergency with smoke in the cockpit and attempted to land at Orlando-Sanford International Airport, said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen.

Instead, the plane crashed about five miles from the airport in a neighborhood called The Preserve at Lake Monroe.

The three people critically injured were a 10-year-old boy who had third-degree burns over 80 to 90 percent of his body, and two adults who suffered serious burns, Minnetto told CNN. They were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center, authorities said.

One firefighter also was hurt, according to Seminole County Fire Department Lt. Paula Richie.

The Orlando-Sanford International Airport control tower got a call at 8:35 a.m. about an Alert 1, which means an aircraft is in trouble, said airport spokeswoman Diane Cruz.

One minute later, the warning was raised to Alert 3, meaning a crash is imminent or occurring, Cruz said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/10/florid ... index.html

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJ ... 071007.htm

Dr. Bruce Kennedy, husband of NASCAR official Lesa France Kennedy, was killed this morning in the crash of a plane that nosed into a Sanford neighborhood, setting two houses on fire, according to informed sources close to Daytona International Speedway and NASCAR.

Kennedy was piloting the Cessna 310 when it went down about 8:50 a.m. shortly after takeoff from Daytona International Speedway. At a briefing shortly before 11 a.m., the Seminole County Sheriff's office said the pilot and co-pilot were both killed in the crash. At least four sources who asked to remain anonymous said the Daytona Beach plastic surgeon was practicing for his pilot's license.

The twin engine plane owned by a company linked to NASCAR crashed into a Sanford neighborhood this morning, starting two house fires and injuring at least three people, one of them a boy who was severely burned, authorities said. Both homes were largely gutted by the flames, and smoke could be seen rising from the neighborhood where the plane went down around 8:40 a.m.
    Lesa France Kennedy is the grand-daughter of NASCAR founder Bill France Sr, and is president of International Speedway Corporation and a member of the board of directors of NASCAR.

Sad for the family after just losing Bill France Jr.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

This happened just under a mile from where I live. The helicopters woke me up up this morning
    I'll upload some pix of the event in a bit.

Senga

The reports now say 5 dead. Looked at the FAA registry for Kennedy, appears he has a Commercial license with Single, Multi and Instrument ratings.

Heres the shots from todays crash,
    Unfortunatly the road was blocked so I couldn't get closer to see more.
    You can see the damage to the house on the left side onthe 2 first pix. All of this happened about 1.5 mins from where I live.

Senga

Great shots Senga! My favorite is the second to the last one, with all the transmitters raised :)
    nwa FOREVER!

Very sad, especially for the poor kids on the ground. A bit surprised that NASCAR money can't do a bit better than an old Cessna 310...

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    Very sad, especially for the poor kids on the ground. A bit surprised that NASCAR money can't do a bit better than an old Cessna 310...
    The C310 was not registered to NASCAR, it was registered to International Speedway Inc who runs the tracks, NASCAR operates N500N a Citation 750
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Thanks for the clarification about ownership, but same idea. International Speedway is a public company with a market value of $2.6bn. Cessna 310s can be had for $60,000, not exactly what you expect for a corporate aircraft.

I flew over the damage this morning. It was still smoking and I could see the gutted houses from about. Amazing.
    Senga

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    Thanks for the clarification about ownership, but same idea. International Speedway is a public company with a market value of $2.6bn. Cessna 310s can be had for $60,000, not exactly what you expect for a corporate aircraft.
    According to the AP, the 310 was just jumping from Daytona to Lakeland, not exactly a long haul... it was probably used for quick jaunts across Florida
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Re: 2 killed, 4 injured as plane crashes into homes in Florida

Heres a few more shots I took yesterday or the day before I forgot.
    The scaled down the blocked off area.Note the melted wieght bench in shot 04

Senga

Re: 2 killed, 4 injured as plane crashes into homes in Florida

RIP to those that passed. I pray for the faily and they families of those injured.
    "lol retart"