Thread: Spotting at Floyd Bennett Field

Spotting at Floyd Bennett Field

Had fun on Saturday spotting at Floyd Bennett Field. There's a beach in back of Hangar B, where they are restoring old aircraft. The view is great, JFK 13L arrivals pass overhead as do 31L departures. I spotted a PIA B777, a Cathay Pacific Airbus, etc. In the distance, you can see the aircraft touch-down. I was even able to spot 22L arrivals in the distance as well as 13R departures. The spot is breezy and there is fishing there, too.

I was there Saturday as well...

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7202

Spent some time out near where you were, had lunch and watched the goings-on. The shot of the NYPD helicopter on my thread was taken from that spot.

Re: Spotting at Floyd Bennett Field

["Had fun on Saturday spotting at Floyd Bennett Field."

Back in the day when Air Station Brooklyn was up and running it was a great place to spot military helos stopping in to the station. Park by the store in the parking lot and the aircraft would taxi right past you to get to the hangar or to the runway area to depart. And when NYPD was at their old hangar you could park right next to the tarmac and watch the copters come in and out. Great stuff. Now the PD base is locked down and you cant get close.

Does JFK Approach traffic cruise by Red Bank, NJ? I went down there a few weeks ago and saw a BA 744 about 3,000ft overhead following the beach. It seemed out of the way for an approach to EWR.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild
    Does JFK Approach traffic cruise by Red Bank, NJ? I went down there a few weeks ago and saw a BA 744 about 3,000ft overhead following the beach. It seemed out of the way for an approach to EWR.
    Yes it does, I used to work in that area and saw alot of JFK traffic. Its approaches to 4L/R.

I just want the PD birds if I was to go there spotting.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I went biking today and wound up at Floyd Bennett only to discover that you are now allowed to eat underneath the Concorde. Wings and all. They also extracted one of the engines and have it on display on ground level. It's surprising how small a brute those Olympus/Snemcas are. You can even spin the blade.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.