Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security checkpoints at JFK

Security checkpoints at JFK

Just returned from JFK this morning at 6:30 AM where they have set up vehicle security checkpoints on both the Van Wyck and the JFK Expressway entrances. Three lanes become one on the Van Wyck. Traffic was backed up all the way to the Belt on the Van Wyck. The two lanes of the JFK Expressway become one but there was a shorter line and less traffic here. I would imagine something similar is going on at LGA and EWR. I dread seeing what the line will look like during 'normal' business hours! Leave plenty of extra time if heading to the airport this week.
    Cessna 6MA Kennedy tower, Rwy 31L, CLEAERD TO LAND!

Oh great one more flipping obstacle to make me leave for work earlier.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

At Stansted in UK they are restricting traffic also reaching the terminal and suggest taking public transport, so for JFK its Airtrain and Newark it would be NJT but with LGA, is there any local subway stops close enough to the terminals or is it just buses?

Allowing vehicles to the curbside has always been a vulnerability at every airport. Airports were never built for the security which must be put in place today.

In the next few days you will probably see some modifications to the measures put in place.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

I saw those checkpoints there, too. Creating quite a traffic backup.

So every time terrorists think of one of the million ways to attack us, we'll have to create more and more measures? It will eventually be overkill. We can't expect to have these car checkpoints there all the time. It was a slow morning at the airport, imagine the traffic during a busier season.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I wonder what the GCP looks like as a result. Also the MAT entrance. That is a hard spot to cover.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I saw those checkpoints there, too. Creating quite a traffic backup.

So every time terrorists think of one of the million ways to attack us, we'll have to create more and more measures? It will eventually be overkill. We can't expect to have these car checkpoints there all the time. It was a slow morning at the airport, imagine the traffic during a busier season.
    Welcome to the post 911 era.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

hence why i park at 141!.. to much diversions and traffic to deal w/ every day.. i understand why there doing it.. but it gets old fast

Interesting how the authorities always obsess over airports. 2 of the 3 UK car bombs were aimed at pedestrians in crowded urban areas, yet I don't see checkpoints like this around Times Square, Penn Station, Rock Center etc. Maybe they're waiting to put it on along with Bloomie's $8 congestion pricing. Who decided that in America, the only such attacks would be at an airport? Sounds like this is more for the media and public reassurance than comprehensive security.

All seemed normal when I arrived at LGA midday today.

LGA777

Quote Originally Posted by h2opunk1822
    hence why i park at 141!.. to much diversions and traffic to deal w/ every day.. i understand why there doing it.. but it gets old fast
    Wait until we move there a few weeks. I'll let the air out of your tires. :-p
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

haha.. good luck finding parking!!.. all the cabbies run that place!!... when is the move in??.. i have seen signs for the past 2 months of so?

[>All seemed normal when I arrived at LGA midday today.
    <
    I had to pick up my wife tonite at the MAT and didnt really see anything different security wise. Got there early and hung out for awhile up by Plane View Park and all quiet there also. I hadnt been over there in some years and love that they cut down all the bushes by the fence to allow a great and unobstructed view of the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonstop2AUH
    Interesting how the authorities always obsess over airports. 2 of the 3 UK car bombs were aimed at pedestrians in crowded urban areas, yet I don't see checkpoints like this around Times Square, Penn Station, Rock Center etc.
    Agreed, not to mention a car bomb into the side of a big office building in Midtown will cause significantly greater loss of life and feeling of "terror" than hitting the front of an airport terminal. I've wondered why terrorists have been so obsessed with attacking airports...airplanes I understand, but the front of a terminal is mostly empty space. :?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Agreed, not to mention a car bomb into the side of a big office building in Midtown will cause significantly greater loss of life and feeling of "terror" than hitting the front of an airport terminal. I've wondered why terrorists have been so obsessed with attacking airports...airplanes I understand, but the front of a terminal is mostly empty space. :?
    The question is, are terrorists obsessed with attacking airports, or are we obsessed with terrorists attacking airports? Remeber, OBL's first attack on the World Trade Center was with a car bomb...