Thread: Breaking News: Car on fire crashes into Glasgow airport

Breaking News: Car on fire crashes into Glasgow airport

A car on fire has been driven at the main terminal building at, police have confirmed.
    Eyewitnesses have described a jeep cherokee being driven at speed towards the building with flames coming out from underneath. They have also described seeing two asian men, one of whom was on fire, who had been in the car. The airport has been evacuated and all flights suspended following the incident at 1515 bst. One eyewitness said: "i heard the sound of a car's wheels spinning and smoke coming out. "i saw a jeep cherokee apparently as if it was trying to get right through the doors into the terminal building. "there were flames coming out from underneath then some men appeared from in amongst the flames. "the police ran over and the people started fighting with the police. I then heard what sounded like an explosion." eye-witness richard gray told bbc news 24: "a green jeep was in the middle of the doorway burning. "there was an asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers, who he was trying to fight off. They've got him on the ground. "the car didn't actually explode. There were a few pops and bangs which presumably was the petrol. " two men, one of whom was reported to be badly burned, were seen being led away in handcuffs.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

What airport?

Yeah, I figured it out about 3 seconds later...just would have helped to have it on the boards...thanks! ;)

Sorry, did a quick copy & paste of the notification before I jumped back to work. I updated the title.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Some local observations for those that don't know Scotland and the UK...This is GLA the main Glasgow International Airport (Abbotsinch), as opposed to Prestwick PIK which is a bit further from the city but also often referred to as an airport for Glasgow by some of the LCCs that use it specifically Ryanair. You can read about GLA here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_In ... al_Airport

Also, the witnesses describe the 2 men in the attack vehicle as "Asian." In the UK "Asian" is used to refer to South Asia, e.g. India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. so in this case they are not likely talking about Chinese or Korean as we would think of as Asian here in the US.

The UK has raised it's terror threat level equal to our red level. The US has no plans at this time to raise the threat level.

Authorities are linking the London & Glasgow plots. Two suspects in custody, one seriously injured had a device on his person. A third suspect was found dead in the SUV at the airport. It is reported he also had a device on his person.

US Airports are tightening security. Most will be added patrols in public areas.
    Ronald Reagan