Thread: User Fees Shot Down By House of Representatives

User Fees Shot Down By House of Representatives

Glad to hear it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by AVweb
    The Devil's In The Details Of House FAA Bill
    Chad Trautvetter, Editor In Chief

Late Wednesday the U.S. House of Representatives finally released H.R.2881, the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007. As widely expected in aviation circles, the House bill does not contain any user fees, unlike the companion Senate bill (S.1300) that includes a $25 per flight fee for turbine aircraft using the IFR system. However, H.R.2881 does increase and expand existing fees for FAA services, with some fees increasing by 2,500 percent (see table). Importantly, the FAA reauthorization fully funds ATC modernization, better known simply as NextGen. "This legislation addresses many of the concerns raised by general aviation and puts in place building blocks required to move forward with NextGen," said General Aviation Manufacturers Association President and CEO Pete Bunce. "We are proud to have leaders like Chairmen Oberstar and Costello and ranking members Mica and Petri taking bold steps to ensure these critical needs are met in the NextGen process." The four-year FAA reauthorization legislation also contains several other "Easter eggs," including a system to monitor service at Flight Service Stations, a provision to raise the mandatory retirement age for airline pilots to 65, and a requirement for the FAA to roll out tamper-proof pilot certificates that contain a photo of the airman and possibly even a biometric identifier. The bill also includes language that would send the National Air Traffic Controllers Association and the FAA back to the negotiating table to finish work on a collective bargaining agreement.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

Glad that the user fees were taken out, but it still looks like they will be increasing some fees on us. Here are a few of the changes:

Aircraft registration: Current: $5, proposed: $130, change: 2,500%
    Replacement Registration: Current: $2, Proposed $45, change: 2,150%
    Issuance of Aircraft certificate: current: no charge, proposed$ 105
    Issuance of special N-number: current: $10, proposed $50, change 700%
    Aircraft lien recording: Current: $5, proposed: $130, change: 2,500%
    Issuance of new airman certificate: Current: no charge, proposed: $50
    Issuance of Airman medical certificate: Current: no charge, proposed: $42

There seems to be a few roadblocks for new pilots.
    nwa FOREVER!

It's kind of insane that the fees were so low to begin with. Why should a 747's registration fee be a fraction of the cost of plates for a Toyota? The new fees are a huge increase, but still not unreasonable...if you can afford a plane, you're not broke.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    It's kind of insane that the fees were so low to begin with. Why should a 747's registration fee be a fraction of the cost of plates for a Toyota?
    But that fee also goes for the smallest of planes.

I do agree with some of the fees though.
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Glad that the user fees were taken out, but it still looks like they will be increasing some fees on us. Here are a few of the changes:

There seems to be a few roadblocks for new pilots.
    I agree that some of these fee increases are ridiculous, and the +/- 5 cent avgas tax increase is a bit much, but compared to proposed user-fees to fund the system this action is really a whole lot better. It leaves Congress in full control of FAA spending and other options for the future.

Not supporting it, just liking it better than user fees.

Here's a letter I wrote to Phil Boyer and other AOPA execs:

Dear Phil,

I greatly appreciate AOPA's anti-user-fee efforts, but the recent FAA Reauthorization Act of 2007 (House Rule 2881) proposal from the House of Representatives is not a complete success. "User-fees" are not mere fees to fly the NAS, they also include the costs to obtain a medical, obtain a pilot certificate, obtain a registration, etc.

So we may not be paying user-fees to fly through the NAS in the U.S., but we will be paying outrageous fees in other areas of aviation that aren't needed to fund the system. I hope AOPA shifts their efforts to reduce these above fees now that the House of Representatives has shown some level of progress. I feel that the organization is so focused on "user-fees" in regards to air traffic control costs, etc, and not the other fees we will have to pay and hope this changes promptly.

Respectfully,

--
    Jason Herman
    AOPA Member 04713197
    Westchester County Airport (HPN)
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    just got the email from AOPA. as i was reading along i found out something interesting though:

PILOTS: RESPOND TO UNITED'S LATEST USER FEE GIMMICK
    United Airlines began an e-mail campaign on June 27, urging its frequent fliers to support the airline's greedy approach to FAA funding changes, but AOPA members were not taken in. By dinnertime on the same day, hundreds of you had contacted AOPA to let us know about the scheme. "This latest airline effort to push through a user-fee-funded system is really not surprising," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "But United may have miscalculated this time. Not only are AOPA members general aviation pilots, they are some of the heaviest users of the airlines, and they're not at all pleased at United's effort to use them as pawns in the battle over FAA funding." What the airline has done, Boyer suggested, is antagonize an otherwise loyal customer base—one that disagrees with the airline's falsehoods about the causes of delays and opposes a user-fee-funded air traffic control system. You can contact Glenn Tilton, chairman, president, and CEO of UAL Corporation (United Airlines' parent company), and let him know how you feel about his airline's campaign. For tips on what to say, see AOPA Online.
    http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...nited.html#say
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Not for nothing, but aren't ALL N-numbers special requests? I don't think it works like license plates where you are issued 2 pieces of metal to slap on your vehicle. Unless this refers to when you buy a "pre-owned' aircraft and you want to swap tail numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    Not for nothing, but aren't ALL N-numbers special requests? I don't think it works like license plates where you are issued 2 pieces of metal to slap on your vehicle. Unless this refers to when you buy a "pre-owned' aircraft and you want to swap tail numbers.
    I think this is more like "vanity plates" for the plane; if you wanted, for example, your initials as part of the N-number, this is how you'd pay. I could be wrong, though.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604
    I'm pretty sure they can be assigned randomly. This essentially applies to new aircraft coming from the factory. If you don't want a special N-number, the manufacturer will just slap whatever number they have on it.

Then again, if you're buying an airplane new from the factory, you should be able to come up with $50 for a special N-number.
    Jason
    CFI/CFII
    Part 135 Dispatch

I would think it would be for airlines as well... For example, a lot of AA planes are NXXXAA or DL planes are NXXXDL... Those are most likely "customized" N numbers...

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I don't think just because the plane belongs to an airline they will hand out those registrations specially without a fee. Also, USAF, I love your avatar.
    "lol retart"

Quote Originally Posted by stuart schechter
    Also, USAF, I love your avatar.

Lol, thanks... I figured it was time I get one, and that one was pretty funny/stupid...

But that fee also goes for the smallest of planes.
    LOL, OK then why should registration for a $300K (aprox) Cirrus cost less than plates for my 10 year old Nissan? Yes, it's a big %, but still best value of any governmental fees.
    Flight Schedule / flight sched·ule / (noun) - An entertaining work of fiction.

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"
    I'm surprised that airman certificates were free before...I've certainly had to pay for every drivers license I've ever gotten. It was like $15, but then again I'm sure it's much cheaper to have those obnoxious driving test people on staff than the FAA checkride guys...