Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of O'Hare Employee Badges Missing

Thousands of O'Hare Employee Badges Missing

CBS 2 in Chicago has discovered that 3,807 employee badges used to access secure areas at O'Hare Airport are missing, and the TSA doesn't seem very interested in investigating.

http://cbs2chicago.com/homepage/local_s ... 24625.html
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Within earshot of MD-80s who don't "Over fly Prospect Park to the extent practical"
    Since when does the TSA get involved in making anything more secure? Come on, reasonable expectations people...

Oh sheesh! Well the up side is if these badges were not coded than the risk is reduced. Obviously no good either way but for some reason I have my doubts that these badges are not in the hands of the bad guys though you never know. The chip card might just be lost. Not only that they need to be programed with the pin from the chips mother computer so to speak therefore meaning that the only way in would be to piggy back through and than try not to get caught.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Oh sheesh! Well the up side is if these badges were not coded than the risk is reduced. Obviously no good either way but for some reason I have my doubts that these badges are not in the hands of the bad guys though you never know. The chip card might just be lost. Not only that they need to be programed with the pin from the chips mother computer so to speak therefore meaning that the only way in would be to piggy back through and than try not to get caught.
    My God they better not piggy back. I am terrified someone will do that to me so I am always watching behind me making sure no one is following me :shock:

That certainly is bad, and how did the employees lose their badges like that? Are they Airport employees or airline employees?

Alex

Edit- Read it again, seems to be Mesa. Hmmh
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

The main problems cited in the article:

* badge access to the airport via a non-electronic back gate (i.e. you flash your badge to the guard and he lets you in, no search required)
    * piggybacking
    * employees sharing access codes
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Not the first time this has happened....

Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Since when does the TSA get involved in making anything more secure? Come on, reasonable expectations people...
    So you base your assumptions on the word of a fired employee. Nothing in the article says TSA isn't investigating or doing something.

There are programs in place where if a certain percentage of SIDA cards are missing the airport has to issue new designed cards to everyone.

There is a program where TSA screens employees.

There are inspectors out within the airport who look for "piggy-backers" and will fine them, the airlines and the airport.

SIDA badging is an airport responsibility. TSA is the regulating agency. If a problem is found they can/will enforce civil penalties against the violators.

By the way I worked with Paul Maniscalco. He is another one that should shut his mouth when he has no idea of what he speaks.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Bougus Bob program comes to mind correct EMS? And you are correct about the percentage statement without detailling it furthur.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

"Piggybacking" is a general security issue, and has NOTHING to do with lost badges. As noted, they watch for that more than people realize, and other airport employees ARE willing to report such activity.....ALL take it very seriously.

As for the mentioning of the recent JFK plot...what does thathave to do with the ID cards? The employee DID undergo a backgroudn check. What else should the authorities do? What do people seriously recommend? Should we shut downt he airports or tial every potential airport employeef or 6 months to see if they might be a terrorist?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

It has everythingt to do with a piggy back. If a person has a badge and makes it through the door with you without you knowing and that badge is not authorized and this person has bad intentions than it is going to have EVERYTHING to do with it and it is something that is extremely easy to do once you have the bage because most people do not care past the fact that the pic matches your face on the badge which is why we have special programs at LGA.

It has everythingt to do with a piggy back. If a person has a badge and makes it through the door with you without you knowing and that badge is not authorized and this person has bad intentions than it is going to have EVERYTHING to do with it and it is something that is extremely easy to do once you have the bage because most people do not care past the fact that the pic matches your face on the badge which is why we have special programs at LGA.
    There should never be a situation where someone piggybacks on you and you don't know it. If in your scenario someone did piggyback without you knowing it wouldn't matter if they had a badge or not since they are gaining access on your badge. If they don't have a badge they should be challenged. Remember anyone can challenge anyone else.

This is the rule in every airport so it isn't secret.

We try to piggyback and put our badges away to see if we can get away with it. Trust me if we do it is going to be a very bad day for you. That goes for not challenging also.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    funniest comment i've heard all week!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Just because a badge is lost or stolen, or the person was terminated and hasn't given back that card....that doesn't mean that the card has not be deactivated. You can't piggyback with a deactivated card.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Ummmm... How not Phil? Piggybacking means not useing your own card and pin which means it is irrelevant wheter or not you have an active badge. You have still gained access to areas which are restricted to you. I could probably piggyback you at JFK if I wanted to but would I? Certainly not. It is not impossible Phil. If anything it is pretty easy ask EMS. And like he said it will not be a nice day for anyone when a person gets away with it.

As hiss stated piggybacking is going through a door behind someone else before the door closes. The person swiping has the responsibility to ensure the door closes without someone piggybacking.
    Ronald Reagan