Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of O'Hare Employee Badges Missing

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by adam613
    Since when does the TSA get involved in making anything more secure? Come on, reasonable expectations people...
    funniest comment i've heard all week!
    I thought it was the stupidest...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

[quote=hiss srq]Ummmm... How not Phil? Piggybacking means not useing your own card and pin which means it is irrelevant wheter or not you have an active badge. ]/quote]

Exactly. Or any badge for that matter.....which was my original point to beginw ith. Lost or stolen badges have nothing to do with piggybacking. Separate issues and separate safety measures.

Quote Originally Posted by "hiss srq":6a91b
    I could probably piggyback you at JFK if I wanted to but would I? Certainly not.
    Are you implying that I have ramp access at JFK? COOL! haha

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    It is not impossible Phil. If anything it is pretty easy ask EMS. And like he said it will not be a nice day for anyone when a person gets away with it.
    [/quote:6a91b]

I agree, but the article implies that TSA/DHS/Airport Management is doing something WRONG, when they aren't. That is unless you have a solution for the piggybacking.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

The report is very misleading. 3807 badges missing. In what time frame? The "whistleblower" wasn't interviewed. So what, what would they have gotten from her. It is her word that there were piggybackers. OK, you set up to look for piggybackers, you don't go on TV and tell people you are doing it.

Mesa was fined $47,000 for the badges they lost. That is doing something.

With the size of O'Hare it is difficult to secure every single door without the assistance of the employees.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    The report is very misleading. 3807 badges missing. In what time frame? The "whistleblower" wasn't interviewed. So what, what would they have gotten from her. It is her word that there were piggybackers. OK, you set up to look for piggybackers, you don't go on TV and tell people you are doing it.

With the size of O'Hare it is difficult to secure every single door without the assistance of the employees.
    More then likely that figure will come down if not forgiven entirely. If Mesa doesn't have a history of regulatory issues that figure is just for show. I work with many Federal and State Agencies and whenever we get a fine 10 out of 10 times we can mitigate it down or have it taken away as long as we file a corrective action plan and show we are following it. The real issue is the handling of the badges, where they are kept, who has access to them.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    And you are correct about the percentage statement without detailling it furthur.
    Yeah Ryan he has it right. I won't get into the actual percentages but I have been through 2 different complete re-badgings due to an airport exceeding it. Oh BTW, happy now? I finally signed up.
    Flight Schedule / flight sched·ule / (noun) - An entertaining work of fiction.

In EWR they have guards at all of the access doors so that you can not piggyback. The guards make sure that everyone that goes through the door has swiped their ID.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76

More then likely that figure will come down if not forgiven entirely. If Mesa doesn't have a history of regulatory issues that figure is just for show. I work with many Federal and State Agencies and whenever we get a fine 10 out of 10 times we can mitigate it down or have it taken away as long as we file a corrective action plan and show we are following it. The real issue is the handling of the badges, where they are kept, who has access to them.
    Oh yea, once the lawyers get involved that number gets changed. It is only the recommended fine.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by skipper
    In EWR they have guards at all of the access doors so that you can not piggyback. The guards make sure that everyone that goes through the door has swiped their ID.
    That is a heafty price most airports can't afford. Remember EWR is under the microscope from their favorite local newspaper.
    Ronald Reagan

[quote=Smartass Flyboy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "hiss srq":30fbd
    And you are correct about the percentage statement without detailling it furthur.
    Yeah Ryan he has it right. I won't get into the actual percentages but I have been through 2 different complete re-badgings due to an airport exceeding it. Oh BTW, happy now? I finally signed up.[/quote:30fbd]

Hey Hey Hey!! Welcome aboard. By the writing style it could only be you Mike!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by skipper
    That is a heafty price most airports can't afford. Remember EWR is under the microscope from their favorite local newspaper.
    I am not sure this is something that most airports can not afford. It is not TSA people that guard the door but local airport hired security at $7/hour. $7/hour does not seem very luxurious to me.

Just becuase it might not be luxurious for a guard does not mean that the costs don't stack up for the employer.

Multiply $7 an hour times 24 hours times the HUNDREDS (or thousands even?) of doors that each TERMINAL has. Plus the cost of benefits, uniforms, training and more.

In order for me to get my office, I access or use my card or gain access to up to 4 secured doors after going through security. Keep in mind how many offices, concourses, floors, and different areas there are in an airport.

Hmm in EWR there is 1 access door per terminal. 3 terminals. 3x24x8=$576/day. They wouldn't be needed at all 4 doors, just the first one that grants you access to the others. But you said that it is AFTER you have gone through security in which case there are lots of doors. But we are talking about bypassing security.

You can get through security with a boarding pass. From there, there are literally hundreds of different doors that gets you access to the ramp, or gives you access to offices that can give people the chance to steal uniforms or other items that are also very sensitive to security.

I'm not sure what you do at EWR, but I'm sure there's much more than one door per terminal that gives people acccess to sensitive areas. That wouldbe a LOT of employees bottlenecking.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    You can get through security with a boarding pass. From there, there are literally hundreds of different doors that gets you access to the ramp, or gives you access to offices that can give people the chance to steal uniforms or other items that are also very sensitive to security.

I'm not sure what you do at EWR, but I'm sure there's much more than one door per terminal that gives people acccess to sensitive areas. That wouldbe a LOT of employees bottlenecking.
    I know the door he is talking about and he is right. Theres one door where you swipe your id, then show it to him, as he looks at his computer which brings up a picture of you to compare. You then walk through the door which leads directly to the ramp. When I worked over there I never saw more then 10-15 people in line at a time.

That's jsut one way to aaccess the ramp. I'm sure there are many other ways to do so.

As I'm sitting here now, I am thinking about one terminal at a local airport that has up to a hundred ways to access to the terminal from before and beyond security. Swiping doors, active or inactive boarding gates, outside fences, etc.

The one that you're talking about sounds like that one already has a guard. So what's the problem? I'm saying that every point of access having a guard would be extremely expensive, which is why there are those swipe cards to begin with.

My point about swiping through 4 doors was not saying that it's not easy to get to the ramp through one door. It was to rebutt the suggestion that there by a guard at every door that requires and ID....which defeats the ID's purpose.