Thread: Scanner for hobby

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Scanner for hobby

I am considering buying a scanner for listening to ATC. There is a scanner I am particulary interested in for $99 at RadioShack. I have a few questions like what frequiences are for LGA, JFK, and EWR towers and if they have two, which one to listen to?, Is it possible that I can be out of range(8 miles) or can weather effect the transmissions?, and is it possible that I can get in trouble to listen into emergency vehicles?

Here is the link for the scanner.

Any help you be appreciated :D
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Scanners are great to enhance your visits to the airport. I always take mine with me when I travel and go for spotting or photography. The scanner you linked should be just fine for this. I have an Icom R-2 which has the advantage of being a bit smaller but I've owned Radio Shack scanners in the past that worked well too.

Frequencies for your airports of interest are found easily on the internet. I like to use http://www.airnav.com

8 miles from the airport is a bit far to hear the controllers but you should be able to hear the aircraft side of the conversation at that distance.

Weather doesn't usually affect the range too much. The use of scanners in a car is actually illegal in New York state. I would assume that much of NYC is trunked now - so you won't be able to listen to emergency frequencies in that case anyway. It is not illegal to scan those frequencies - just to have the scanner in your car - go figure!

BTW - I have had my scanner in my car at all times for the past 20+ years. Never had a problem.

Have fun!
    Dan

Same one I have.
    http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtop...hlight=scanner
    You answered your own question 2nd post in. The entire post has info.

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtop...hlight=scanner
    Anything you wanted to know about getting in trouble with scanners!
    "lol retart"

Quote Originally Posted by SmAlbany
    It is not illegal to scan those frequencies - just to have the scanner in your car - go figure!
    That makes it illegal for someone committing a crime to have a scanner in the car to listen to police broadcasts in an attempt to elude arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    [
    That makes it illegal for someone committing a crime to have a scanner in the car to listen to police broadcasts in an attempt to elude arrest.
    Yep, I get it. I just think that it's funny that they singled out cars. Why not just make scanning police frequencies illegal? Must be one of those constitutional rights things - They could only make the law stick if they made it a motor vehicle law infraction?

Quote Originally Posted by SmAlbany
    Why not just make scanning police frequencies illegal? Must be one of those constitutional rights things - They could only make the law stick if they made it a motor vehicle law infraction?
    They use the public airwaves, so it's not illegal to monitor, just to use it in the furtherance of a crime. I remember telling a friend here at work that I could listen in to the radios he used to dispatch his facilities maintenance crews. He got all upset, thinking it was an invasion of privacy since we are a private company, but I reminded him that the company doesn't own the airwaves.

> I would assume that much of NYC is trunked now - so you won't be able to listen to emergency frequencies in that case anyway. <

NYPD still using the 400 freqs and FDNY the 150 freqs. Most of
    NYC/EMS is trunked as is SCPD (except for 2Pct and Command which is
    on both 150 & trunked). Nassau PD still using 400 freqs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard
    > I would assume that much of NYC is trunked now - so you won't be able to listen to emergency frequencies in that case anyway. <

NYPD still using the 400 freqs and FDNY the 150 freqs. Most of
    NYC/EMS is trunked as is SCPD (except for 2Pct and Command which is
    on both 150 & trunked). Nassau PD still using 400 freqs.
    Not all of EMS is trunked. Also all you need is a trunked scanner.

As I remember it the law went towards the old days of chase tow trucks who would run around looking for car accidents. First it was ruling out scanners in the trucks (which gave me a job as a kid dispatching) then they went to a rotation tow where it was illegal for a tow truck to pick up a job on the street without being called.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

>As I remember it the law went towards the old days of chase tow trucks who would run around looking for car accidents. <

LOL, there was a guy in my old neighborhood who worked for a tow truck company and we dubbed him "Georgie Crash" because he was ALWAYS first on scene at accidents.