Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ship Spotters Out There?

Any Ship Spotters Out There?

Greetings,

In addition to aircraft spotting ... I'm also into ship spotting ... especially since I have access to New York Harbor.

Best spotting sites I've found to date include: Battery Park ... back and forth on the Staten Island Ferry ... St George and north shore in Staten Island ... along the Shore Promenade in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn ... 69th Street (Veteran's Memorial) Pier also in Bay Ridge.

I'm interested in interfacing with individual ship spotters ... ship spotting groups and forums ... etc.

Current ship spotting specialties include: ocean-going commercial ships ... tugboats ... unusual harbor craft ... etc.

Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

I've always found shipping to be fascinating myself, more so passenger ships. I've have a rather nice collection of original Cunard and French Line posters I have hanging throughout my house, I'll try posting some pics of them next week when i return. Even today's modern superliners are amazing to me that something that big can float.

Tommy, Mike - We need to hang out.

I've taken images of a couple thousand ships & tugs in the last couple of years.

Staten Island is the place to be for that.

How is this for a livery...?

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

:D :D :D :D :D I am never in the right place for those type of shots!
    Bravo, Would love to see more if you have handy.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I love ships but have no idea where to go to get em etc etc..... I just tag along with my fathr to the ports sometimes when he goes.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I would love to get a shot of a carrier under the Varazano!!! That would put a smile on my face for a week! :)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    awesome pics nice to see departing cruise ships in the NY harbor on a summer saturday
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I installed photo equipment on the Crown Princess!

I wouldhave paid money to see Tom Turner's face when seeing this thread. I know how much he is into ships, too. Great shots Tom!
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    hey tom, can you post up the pix of the intrepid again?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Thanks Guys... I always have more... :) There are some differences, but its not really too different at its heart, than planespotting.

Intrepid Move..

Norwegian Spirit

A sinking Ship.... haha.. not really

Fire Fighter

An oldie in Brooklyn

QM2

Tall Ship

Heavy Lift

TugBoats

a Relic

a Car Carrier

A Really Busy Day..

A Bulker in Brooklyn

NAVY
    "Keep 'em Flying"

There's a Harrier in that garage or a helo right?
    "lol retart"

It would be a UH60 or a CH53 no harriers on those ships.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Any Ship Spotters Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I've always found shipping to be fascinating myself, more so passenger ships. I've have a rather nice collection of original Cunard and French Line posters I have hanging throughout my house, I'll try posting some pics of them next week when i return. Even today's modern superliners are amazing to me that something that big can float.
    T-Bird76,

I'd like very much to see these posters. I remember the old Cunard advertising slogan fom back when ... "Getting There Is Half the Fun"!

Mike (shamrock838)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    Tommy, Mike - We need to hang out.

I've taken images of a couple thousand ships & tugs in the last couple of years.

Staten Island is the place to be for that.

How is this for a livery...?

Tom
    Tom,

Fantastic shots ... from the Staten Island side, yes?

I sometimes ride the SI Ferry back and forth to capture some of the harbor craft ... I'm especially into tugs and they seem to be all over.

BTW ... my wife and I are actually planning to move to Bay Ridge next spring. She has a single brother there ... we both l-o-v-e the area ... and I'll have the Shore Esplanade with it's vistas ... fresh ocean air ... and ships, ships, ships.

Even now I go down there when I have some vacation time. Alas ... I usually get there in the afternoon when the sun's against me ... so a lot of the incoming / outgoing ships are backlit. But ... post-editing usually brings out the details. Once we live in Bay Ridge I'll be able to get down to the shore earlier when the light is at my back.

An exception was Fleet Week when I was over there in the morning to catch the Navy ships arriving. Perfect lighting for that! The next day I took the SI Ferry over to St George and the SIR to Stapleton to visit the five ships moored there for open house. I went aboard the CG-66 Aegis cruiser "Hue City" ... where photography was actually encouraged! I got some nifty shots of all the ships from dockside ... including the US Navy destroyer "Winston S Churchill" ... singular honor that!

Last month I took the SI Ferry to St George and got the S40 bus for a survey trip along SI's north shore to scout out photo vantage points along Richmond Terrace and the Kill Van Kull. I got off at Arlington and caught an S40 going back. The North Shore Espanade just west of St George has great viewing possibilities with a nifty Manhattan background ... though shipping traffic was light at the time. Further west the view is mostly blocked off except for Faber Park near the Bayonne Bridge ... which I didn't explore at the time. I did pass a couple of interesting "tug bases" but they looked off-limits to photog visitors.

Whenever I'm on the SI ferry to St George I always check the distant shipping between SI and Bay Ridge down to the V-N Bridge. If it looks especially interesting ... I take the SIR down to Grasmere ... catch the S53 over the bridge into 86th Street Bay Ridge and get the B16 (or walk) over to the shore. I then usually wend my way up to the 69th Street (Vet Memorial) Pier at Owl's Head where it juts offshore. I'm gotten some nice shots from there.

All this is when I'm taking a break from LGA and JFK aircraft spotting. Aircraft and ships have always been dual photo interests for me!

I do have specific questions about New York Harbor and its shipping that I'll save for another e-mail. And ... yes ... I would be interested in getting together for some ship shooting sometime soon. Perhaps the best place to meet might be inside the St George Ferry Terminal? Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)