Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Ship Spotters Out There?

Quote Originally Posted by Derf
    I would love to get a shot of a carrier under the Varazano!!! That would put a smile on my face for a week! :)
    Derf,

I took some of the USS Wasp taken May 23 as she entered NY Harbor for Fleet Week. I can e-mail these to you directly as I'm still undecided on how best to upload images to these forums.

Mike (shamrock838)

Mike, that shot of the WASP sounds great; you were certainly on the right side for it.

Certainly would be nice to get aircraft carriers through the Narrows, but unfortunately, I am believe NYC will not allow nuke carriers so that limits us to just a couple of genuine carriers, and when we get those typically most of the aircraft have been removed.

An exception might be when we get a foreign carrier that is scheduled for tours...like HMS Invincible a couple of years back..came in with full complement of aircraft on deck.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Wow... A lot of memories in those pics. My Dad was a Longshoreman/Pier Superintendant for 45 years. I used to tag along with him to work and actually worked as a Longshoreman for a few summers during College. The Containerships and car carriers are so massive. When I worked Brooklyn South as a Medic I used to park my Ambulance under the VZ or up on Shore RD and watch the ships for hours....
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

if you send it to me at [email protected] , I will post. Thanks for the offer! -Fred
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".