Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work hard/Play hard: Who cares?

Work hard/Play hard: Who cares?

Why do companies advertise in job postings with sayings like: "...believe in the work-hard-play-hard ethic" or "we work hard, but we play harder" as if this is supposed to persuade people to work there? Who cares how hard they play?

It's actually a turn off for me.

I think they are trying to attract the 20-something male generation, and the usual thought there is "Wow! Sweet! Play hard? That's awesome!"
    nwa FOREVER!

Yeah, Mel. I agree; it is annoying...

Most likely someone in the Marketing Dept has taken over some tasks from the Human Resources Dept.

Just cross your fingers they aren't handling your benefits and vacation and Pension.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Work Hard Play Hard only applies to the military, as they are stuck together after hours.

I have enough friends, thanks. I want to do my job and go home to my family.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

They use that term when describing colleges as well. At Duke, students described themselves as those who "work hard and play hard" but I always hated that expression.

Do people at other schools not work as hard or not play as much?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Then I guess all of you guys hate Continental :) They translated play hard to "fly right" :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Its basic economics, I don't understand it at all..." - Randy Marsh, South Park, CO

Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    Then I guess all of you guys hate Continental :) They translated play hard to "fly right" :)
    I'd rather "fly right" than "play hard"
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Quote Originally Posted by RDU-JFK
    Quote Originally Posted by tipek
    I'd rather "fly right" than "play hard"
    Seriously, me too!

I was on an interview once when the HR Manager was telling me all the "perks" of the company, used that phrase and proceeded to go on and on about the company sponsored happy hours, the beer that people bring in for working late, the clubs they get VIP access to, the fully-stocked kitchen....then, she was like "I don't know if drinking is your thing, but..." and I was like, "Actually, it's not." I think she felt pretty dumb trying to sell me the job with booze. I don't know about the people at THAT company, but when the clock hits 6pm, if I don't have a deadline, I'm out the door to spend time with family!

Sounds like a nice way of saying we are going to work you to the bone so you won't have time for a life... no thanks

I think it's the opposite. It's probably a place that thinks they work hard, whenthey are all probably lazy, and it's just a big social scene. The employees spend their day gossiping and planning out happy horus and weekends.

Yeah, someone had their dog at the office, too. Not the most professional environment.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    I can relate a little to this. In my line of work you become close to your co-workers as well as people you work for. The sheer amount of hours I put in and the fact that you live and die with these people as time goes by it creates a certain atmosphere. Last night for example myself and my boss couple of other pros and the superintendant where invited out. Dinner, cigars and cordials etc. What it tells you is that they appreciate the sacrifice. Many here think it's great that I spend 3 months out west spotting, playing cards and basically being a bum. I think you would not want to be me now. I spend all day every day at the club and come home only to sleep. It is a trade off. I am not sure if the corparate business world is trying to attract people with these slogans as to how they play. But the Metropolitan PGA section is a very close knit community. The relationships created with co-workers, board members, commitee members and the people that make up the member clubs are very unique and last a lifetime. You go to their happy times and you go to their funerals, you watch their kids grow up and actually have an impact in their growing up. Most if not all of these people are self made multi-millionaires and still themselves have to work every day like us but yet they do play hard. Very hard. I can relate to the "work hard, play hard" mindset. My business doesn't have to advertise it. You know it going in. In reality you have to play hard, If you don't you can get burnt out bad and it will consume you.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nic, you've got the right idea. We all like to party hard after working hard. The thing is whether we want our hard playing to be at/with work and coworkers. Yeah, I know I'm going to party hard after you attempt to slave me. I jsut don't wnat to do it with the asshoels that I'm stuck with for 60 hours a week.

NOTE: To any of my actually coworkers reading this, that's not directed at you. I'm talking about office environments. Sorry I didn't make it to ghet get-together theother day....i was helping my sister move. :(

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Nick brings up some important aspects.

Truth is we'll spend more time with our co-workers than with our families, no matter what you do (unless you work at home). The girls in my office are my 'second' family....or the sisters I never had.

And some people DO like to spend much of their time with co-workers outside of work. Face it, if you work with a a group of people with shared values, beliefs and ideas, you might actually want to hang out with them after hours.

Just a matter of preference.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie
    Nick brings up some important aspects.

Truth is we'll spend more time with our co-workers than with our families, no matter what you do (unless you work at home). The girls in my office are my 'second' family....or the sisters I never had.
    Thats a good way to put it Mario.

I do usually try to avoid much socializing after hours with my co-workers -for a number of reasons, most importantly becaue there would be no time left for family, other friends and my significant other, but in the end..yeah, its "the sisters I never had"..and you do get pretty close...

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"