Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work hard/Play hard: Who cares?

I know this view is also shared at Southwest Airlines.

We celebrate anything we can, and in turn our employees do work as hard but after all the work is done we get to play and have fun with our co workers and we have fun at work also in doing so.

It may not be shared by everyone but we do follow the same belief.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

While those are valid points, and I DO socialize with SELECTED co-workers, I still absolutely disagree with this being a sales pitch in an interview or job posting.

a) The phrase itself is extremely cliche at this point.

b) How are they supposed to know if you're going to click with your future colleagues and want to play hard with them, even if it IS your thing?

c) It doesn't sound professional. Maybe something along the lines of: "We sponsor company activities to support moral boost...." or "We encourage employees to get to know one another on a social level...."

But please...anything but: Work hard, play harder.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Nic, you've got the right idea. We all like to party hard after working hard. The thing is whether we want our hard playing to be at/with work and coworkers. Yeah, I know I'm going to party hard after you attempt to slave me. I jsut don't wnat to do it with the asshoels that I'm stuck with for 60 hours a week.
    Thankfully the *******s in my biz are very limited and the relationships are very strong between people at a club. It is viewed as more as a lifestyle. You have to be able to depend on each other to a degree not seen in many other workplaces.

[a) The phrase itself is extremely cliche at this point.
    /quote]

Of course it is, it's why it is a cliche and will be long after we are all fertilizer.

[quote:1c18c]How are they supposed to know if you're going to click with your future colleagues and want to play hard with them, even if it IS your thing?
    I think you are reading a little too much into it. That phrase can be interpreted a number of ways. As a release, letting off steam, or just partying. It is open to many interpretations.

It doesn't sound professional. Maybe something along the lines of: "We sponsor company activities to support moral boost...." or "We encourage employees to get to know one another on a social level...."

But please...anything but: Work hard, play harder.
    [/quote:1c18c]

I agree it is not the most professional thing to say but it is catchy and if you looking for an audience you will get further with something short and catchy as opposed to the other ways to phrase it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69
    I think you are reading a little too much into it. That phrase can be interpreted a number of ways. As a release, letting off steam, or just partying. It is open to many interpretations.

Agreed. One interpretation is that while the company expects a good work ethic, they are casual in other ways, (ie. no tie, bring your pet, etc)

In another way of looking at it, they are point blank telling you about their atmosphere and what to expect.

So many different ways to read it. In my eyes, it says we're family. i'll never forget, one of my staff took a phone call as I stood next to her and she just learned her father had passed away. A second later, I was the first person to console.

So again, in my eyes, I find it a way of telling about the work ethic without making hte interview feel as it its a stuffy place.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

You have to understand I am talking about a corporate environment...not a golfcourse or a doctor's office (NOT that those aren't professional environments, or that there's anything wrong with them). But I think that if you are going into an interview in a business suit, poised and ready for a corporate job, you just don't expect the pitch to be "we bring beer and dogs."

I am not saying you shouldn't be close with your co-workers while you're AT work. I'm very close with my coworkers. I just don't want whether my co-workers are party animals to be a deciding factor about whether I'm going to take a job or not.

Not that it's a huge thing, but when you're interviewing in an office and the way the boss represents the company is with work hard play hard, you know they are not too strong and have little to offer.

I'd prefer a boss tell me his workplace has a "Work hard, but if you're still here at 5:01 I'll ****in kill you," mentality.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

You have to understand I am talking about a corporate environment...not a golfcourse or a doctor's office
    My enviorment is just as professional as yours. The people I service all own businesses like the one you work for. The own law practices, insurance agencies. CEOS and the like. I also went on my job interview in a suit. In fact they delve into your background probably deeper than most corporate places.

I just don't want whether my co-workers are party animals to be a deciding factor about whether I'm going to take a job or not.
    God I hope not.

Not that it's a huge thing, but when you're interviewing in an office and the way the boss represents the company is with work hard play hard, you know they are not too strong and have little to offer.

I'd prefer a boss tell me his workplace has a "Work hard, but if you're still here at 5:01 I'll ****in kill you," mentality.
    Interesting. I would like to have someone tell me that they appreciate a job well done. No matter what the hours you put in and will reward you accordingly. Pay my benefits and take me out for a steak and cigar once in a while.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

My enviorment is just as professional as yours.
    Would have been nice if you quoted my entire sentence, instead of just choosing the part that suits best to start a debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    You have to understand I am talking about a corporate environment...not a golfcourse or a doctor's office (NOT that those aren't professional environments, or that there's anything wrong with them)..

Would have been nice if you quoted my entire sentence, instead of just choosing the part that suits best to start a debate.

Mellyrose wrote:
    You have to understand I am talking about a corporate environment...not a golfcourse or a doctor's office (NOT that those aren't professional environments, or that there's anything wrong with them)..
    I read your entire statement. It is clear what you meant. Even with the backpedaling.

If you want then clarify what you meant. You obviously tried to say there is a difference.

Socializing with some co-workers is ok but you spend 8 plus hours with them and a decent portion of that is socializing. I just got back from spending the last seven days with co-workers, nice people but I'd rather have spent the last seven days with good friends and family where I was.

I agree that the last thing I want to hear at an interview is "We work hard and play hard." WTF kind of statement is that about a company, I think at that point I'd say thank you for you're time but no thanks. In life there are you're work friends and your close friends, I like to keep the two apart.

Mellyrose wrote:
    I read your entire statement. It is clear what you meant. Even with the backpedaling.

If you want then clarify what you meant. You obviously tried to say there is a difference.

Ladies, please. You're both beautiful.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

I did clarify what I meant, and pretty clearly in all of my posts in this thread....but you can assume what you'd like.

I did clarify what I meant, and pretty clearly in all of my posts in this thread....but you can assume what you'd like.
    Thanks for not answering the question.

I agree that the last thing I want to hear at an interview is "We work hard and play hard." WTF kind of statement is that about a company, I think at that point I'd say thank you for you're time but no thanks. In life there are you're work friends and your close friends, I like to keep the two apart.
    Again it can mean a million things. It's worded poorly. It can mean everything from a few drinks after work to huge parties where the girls put their bare asses on the copy maching and make copies.

to huge parties where the girls put their bare asses on the copy maching and make copies.

*sighs*......