Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Helicopter type in NYC...

New Helicopter type in NYC...

Well, actually its been here for months, but still relatively "new" on the local scene... and first time I have had a confirmed sighting..

http://myaviation.net/search/photo_sear ... size=large

Easily mistakable for either S-76 or Agusta 109, but its actually the Agusta AB-139.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    The 139 is huge - the cabin has 3 rows of 4 across seating. Some are now being built at Agusta's newly-expanded factory at Philadelphia-Northeast/PNE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    The 139 is huge - the cabin has 3 rows of 4 across seating. Some are now being built at Agusta's newly-expanded factory at Philadelphia-Northeast/PNE.
    Ah, thats right. You reminded me I had read something regarding their size recently. Looks like it might fit the same footprint of the S-76 though at the local heliports. Would that be right?

If so, something of an advantage over the S-92 - though I suppose that one holds even more passengers.

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    nice helicopter
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Thats an S-76 isn't it?
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I believe it is a S-76C+ or C++. Proving your point on the similar look. The quick way to recognize is the five prop configuration on the 139 as opposed to four for the 76.

The 139 is register to AIG in NJ so it probably makes often visits to JRB.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Yup - the AB139 is the same length as an S-76, but gets the extra capacity from the extra width (which doesn't matter with a helicopter, since the critical dimension is the rotor span). The S-92 is essentially a cargo helicopter with an airline cabin installed - the interior is like an S-61/H-3, but now standup height. The S-92 also seats ~20 people. They were both on static display at the Andrews show last year. The AB139 has the usual corporate helicopter cabin, but wider, and with an extra row (8 in a club plus another set of 4).

N71PS is one of our tennants at TEB, its owned and operated by AIG insurance ( they also operate a A-109E) that AB-139 is tiny compared to the S-92 which is in the area, soon to be a tennant at TEB also
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    schweet!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Eeek AIG ! I am not abig fan of their flight department. I am not a big fan of their flight crews, major rude jerks. I have delt with them alot. Their flight department cheif pilot is very arrogant.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    come to think of it, now that the amounts and types of helos in the NYC area are multiplying, you'd think one of them would offer me a right seat job!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Matt the only job involving a seat you can gwet is the back seat job! ;)
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

[71PS is one of our tennants at TEB, its owned and operated by AIG insurance ( they also operate a A-109E) that AB-139 is tiny compared to the S-92 which is in the area, soon to be a tennant at TEB also

There was an S-92 flying some time last year around here. Supposedly it was owned by the owners of the Cleveland Browns football team. Thanks for the picture of the AB-139. Nice to see new larger machines about.
    I remember back in the 80s when there was plenty of big metal ships flying. Resorts (then Trump) had their S-61s, Pan Am the WG30s, Golden Nugget had a Super Puma and of course NY Helicopter had their S-58Ts (with the skeletal remains of one sadly sitting at the side of R 1 at FRG).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard

There was an S-92 flying some time last year around here. Supposedly it was owned by the owners of the Cleveland Browns football team.

I remember back in the 80s when there was plenty of big metal ships flying. Resorts (then Trump) had their S-61s, Pan Am the WG30s, Golden Nugget had a Super Puma and of course NY Helicopter had their S-58Ts (with the skeletal remains of one sadly sitting at the side of R 1 at FRG).
    Yeah, I miss those days too. Even more so the 70s when Islanders had the S-62. There is still an S-61 in sort of a cream color I see about once a year, but never been able to ID it. I did manage to catch the S-92 at a distance last year... like you say, I was surprised to see it belongs to Cleveland Browns owners..

http://myaviation.net/?pid=00666569

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"