Thread: ZNY Computer Problems

ZNY Computer Problems

NY Centers computers crashed and did not genarate flight plans for 3 hours. Its a mess and now we're heading into SWAP(Severe Weather Avoidance Plan). Ouch. The system is working again, just heavy delays now because while trying to catch up.

As of 3:57PM:

• Due to EQUIP/FP PROCESSING, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 3 hours.

• Due to WX/LOW VIS/CIGS, departure traffic destined to Newark International Airport, Newark, NJ (EWR) is currently experiencing delays averaging 1 hour and 18 minutes.

• Due to WX/LOW VIS/CIGS, departure traffic destined to John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK) is currently experiencing delays averaging 2 hours and 42 minutes.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Yep, the backup begins. LGA is already a mess. No planes coming in to fly out. I thought it was quiet when I was at hanger 3. Usually at least you hear the jet noise.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

FAA: Computer Malfunction Causes Untold Flight Delays

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A computer failure in the nation's air-traffic control system caused untold flight delays Friday, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

East Coast airports including LaGuardia, JFK and Newark Liberty were experiencing heavy delays, and as a result, the FAA issued a ground stop for arriving flights at LaGuardia.

A computer system in Atlanta that processes pilots' flights plans and sends them to air-traffic controllers failed late Thursday or early Friday, FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitaliere said. The agency rerouted the system's functions to another computer in Salt Lake City, which overloaded due to the increased volume of data, magnifying the problem.

The FAA could not immediately calculate the number of flight delays caused by the problem, which was made worse by bad weather, Spitaliere said.

Although the computer problem was fixed Friday morning, its impact lingered on into the late afternoon, especially in New York, Spitaliere said.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    Although the computer problem was fixed Friday morning, its impact lingered on into the late afternoon, especially in New York, Spitaliere said.
    Thats a bunch of crap, just a lie to the press. The computer problem wasn't resolved til almost 3pm.

Here at LGA we were just starting to even getr a remote picture of what was going to happen at 1400 hours. It was BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! Now JFK is at 1/8 mile vis and the bank seems to ber moving North bouind at the minute so I think the LGA curfew is going to mean jack crap tonight but we3 are still waiting for word and updates.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"