Thread: 06-05-2007 - West and Southwest of JFK

06-05-2007 - West and Southwest of JFK

Greetings,

I visited JFK Spotter Site A around 4.30p after seeing some “heavies” departing 31L after having trekked up Cross Bay Boulevard from Broad Channel. V-e-r-y windy conditions … and … no shortage of bugs at Site A.

After an hour or so of spotting I saw an increasing number of flights departing from runway 22 L/R off to the east and climbing out straight out over the Rockaways. What started out as an even mix of alternating departures (31L vs 22L/R) gradually increased in favor of 22 with a greater number of heavies … Europe-bound? … heading seaward.

When only an occasional flight came up from 31L … I trekked over the bridge and up Cross Bay Boulevard to 157th Avenue to catch a southbound Q53 to the Rockaway beach area. With the strong SW winds the surf was up and scores of surfers were out waiting for “the wave.”

With sunset approaching I caught a number of heavies departing 22L/R … though I could have used a better side angle to reduce the number of “bellies.” Next time for that. Still … I got some nice side-lighting effects on some of them.

My black camera also attracted a few suspicious looks … as it usually does in populated areas … but nothing more. Finally the light faded and that was that. Heading north (homeward) on the Q53 I noticed an occasional departure still using 31L. This was close on 9pm.

QUESTION: - does JFK often split runway departures simultaneously … like the 22s and 31s … for extended periods … or does the heavier volume of evening departures dictate this?

Mike (shamrock838)

Re: 06-05-2007 - West and Southwest of JFK

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock838
    QUESTION: - does JFK often split runway departures simultaneously … like the 22s and 31s … for extended periods … or does the heavier volume of evening departures dictate this?
    Saw JFK doing that again a bit last September, and seems to be happening more regularly now.

Not too common the last 5-6 years though..

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    yes its called intersection KK or kilo, kilo

it happned to me too, in that case they usually use 31L for some regional or domestic departures and the primary departures for 22R. Its more then likely due to heavy traffic.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094