Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Longest Flight

My Longest Flight

This Thursday evening I leave on a trip that will take me to an Asian destination....lasting 14 hours.

I was thinking about not sleeping much the night before and triyng to snooze out as much as I can...but even if I sleep a full 8 hours....I sitlll have 6 hours left!

I don't have a portable DVD player and a laptop would only last about 2 hours (and with no internet, it's useless to me).

I might bring rollerblades and skate up and down the aisles of the widebody, but I don't know.

I cna bring some books, but I can't read that long, and I can't concentrate that good on planes anymore.

Any ideas on how to pass the time?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I just did Washington, DC to Seoul, Korea and Seoul to JFK. About 14 hours each leg.

I ate the meal and just hung around for the first 3 or so hours, listened to some tunes, then I forced myself to sleep on and off for the next 4 or 5 hours. I read some and then we got another meal. The final 2 hours makes you go nuts. Korean Air had decent IFE options. Coming back, I watched Apocalypto. That killed a few hours, which was a plus.

You have to sleep for at least a few hours just to kill some time. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The first 4 or 5 hours actually go by really fast.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I might bring some VHS casettes to play onthe aircraft's movie screens.

Oh come on Phil, your flight time is 9hr 55min. I do however feel bad for you in regards to the 16hr 45min you have to spend in that God Awful "Asian" City you are going to.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    lack of sleep the ngiht before and nyquil always worked for me.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCMedic
    Oh come on Phil, your flight time is 9hr 55min. I do however feel bad for you in regards to the 16hr 45min you have to spend in that God Awful "Asian" City you are going to.
    9:55? 2205z to 1200 falls 5 minutes short of 14 hours.

And, yeah, I don't know if I should be more concerned about the layover or the flight. Ugh.

Oh, and I hear a cyclone will be passing north through Iran onThursday. That should help out my trip as well. :roll:

Just be safe in that "Asian" city
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

hahaha when I think of Asian I assume East Asian...
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Man, you guys need to fly to more "me love you long time" Asian places rather than "DURKA DURKA, MOHAMMED JIHAD" Asian places.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

What Asian destination might this be?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

A bottle of Jim Bean will probably do the trick.... ;)

but seriously though, it will work wonders....

Well, I'm back home and kinda tired.

The 14 hour flight wasn't TOO bad. I laid down across 4 seats and slept about 7 hours on and off, though others around me were out cold for as much as 10.

I spent the other 7 hours doing a litlte reading, a lot of eating and looking out the window. My Ipod helped me out for about an hour and a half, as I paced up and down the aisles of the plane mouthing songs to myself.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    well I hoped you enjoyed the flight and get some rest
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

On these trips where you have to work when you arrive at a random time of day after a lengthy flight, then you turn around and go home or head for another faraway stop, do you bother changing your watch, or is everything in Zulu time?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I keep NY time on my watch, and that's mostly becuase I plan my sleep around NY time to decrease the amount of recovery that I need when I do get home.

I've learned to do quick math in my head when looking at my watcht o figure out zulu and local times of wherever I am as well. It's much easier forme to work off of zulu time, except for when I'm talking and dealing with locals who are obviously only going by local time.