Thread: Bare Metal Polishing

Bare Metal Polishing

When an aircraft is painted, a layer or several layers are added to the metla fuselage.

As I understand, when a plane like American's is given the bare metal polishing, it's worn down slightly, removing a certain thickness of it, correct?

Wouldn't polishing nad the multiple polishings over an aircraft's life affect the structural integrity of a plane by making is fuselage thinner? Or is it just that small or a difference? I would think a decent amount would need to be worn down to get a good mirror shine.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i think that the amount of metal removed from the fuselage is minimal, and not enough to affect the structural integrity of the airframe. i'll talk to my uncle who worked for TWA and is now with AA mx.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Oh that's what you were talking about last night, I was clueless. No it doesn't remove metal. Look at how old some of AA's planes are and no problem.

At the time I worked at Fokker Aircraft and we sold the F100 to AA/US the paintfacility purchased a special machine to polish the skin.

Especially when they are brandnew, those polished skin ac look awesome.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=272407
    http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=279950
    See:
    My photos at Jetphotos.net
    Joop Stroes @ Jetphotos
    My photos at Airliners.net
    Joop Stroes @ Airliners.net

not to get all techie on anyone but the shiny skin is the natural appearance of the aluminum used for the skin... 2023-T3 Alclad Aluminum Alloy... it is manufactured with a .032in thick sheet of 100% commerically pure aluminum which is rolled onto the base metal to prevent corrosion and give the sheet metal an extremely shiny finish... i hope i helped!
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot

Re: Bare Metal Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    As I understand, when a plane like American's is given the bare metal polishing, it's worn down slightly, removing a certain thickness of it, correct?

Wouldn't polishing nad the multiple polishings over an aircraft's life affect the structural integrity of a plane by making is fuselage thinner? Or is it just that small or a difference? I would think a decent amount would need to be worn down to get a good mirror shine.
    Only if the low paid paint shop worker screwed up when he puts the 12 or so feet long weedwacker looking polisher in the same spot for too long.

Yes, polishing will removed exterior grind and oxidation, with that, some of the aluminum, I been told it is negligible over 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxgoaly
    not to get all techie on anyone but the shiny skin is the natural appearance of the aluminum used for the skin... 2023-T3 Alclad Aluminum Alloy... it is manufactured with a .032in thick sheet of 100% commerically pure aluminum which is rolled onto the base metal to prevent corrosion and give the sheet metal an extremely shiny finish... i hope i helped!
    All AA's direct ordered 757, 767, 777, and 737NG have a special option with all the skin panels having extra .004" inch of alclad and installed in the same horizontal grain orientation. Boeing's standard aircraft fuselarge does not have all the panel going the same direction, they look like crap when chepo cargo outfit flies them unpainted. Aeromexico used to order their 757 and 737NG the same way as AA, it is a pretty expensive option to get.

All Douglas built aircraft have thicker skin and the grains are oriented horizontally. Airbus have them lined up depending on the location where that particular skin was cut, no one can be sure:lol:.

WOW clipper thats some awesome info... im totally floored by that! Im still hoping to see an all alclad/polished bizjet...
    FAA Licensed Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic
    Student Pilot