Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We photograph them but could we fly one?

We photograph them but could we fly one?

not for the pilots here: even though it can only happen in the movies but I'm sure we've all thought about it. If something happened to the flight crew do you think you could safely land a jetliner?
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

I believe that I could based on the fact that I basically know a commercial cockpit inside and out. At least enough to safely land it and fly it. I also have memorized most of the Vspeeds of various aircraft, and I have flown several different general aviation aircraft on my quest to a private pilots license.
    nwa FOREVER!

The big question. This question gets borught up by not nly enthusiasts, but I hear it among flight attendants and mechanics and everyone inthe industry.

I am pretty sure that if I was put in the situatiuon, that I could land a plane.

In all honesty, fromwhat I've witnessed in jumpseats, I seem to know all the basics, except the radio looks more complicated than anything! haha

As long as I can get in touch with a tower and get certain info for landing at an airport with longer than average runways, I can do it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I could fly it, landing is a whole other matter. As long is there isn't an inflatable auto pilot I guess I would be fine.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway
    I could fly it, landing is a whole other matter. As long is there isn't an inflatable auto pilot I guess I would be fine.
    Otto to the rescue!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Its possible even at my age as I have flown on FSX so its possible. You just need to be cool and calm
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I've landed the 717 and 737s in the sim with the paramarters as real as they get, and no I'm not talking about Microsoft flightsim I'm talking about the real Boeing sims. If the tower can talk you through setting the nav systems following the flight director is really easy. In reality you probably wouldn't even have your hands on the stick anyway. The tower would more then likely have you set the nav system to autoland the plane. You'd just sit back and watch.

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    I also have memorized most of the Vspeeds of various aircraft...
    Don't they vary based on the weight and CG of the aircraft?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Yes they do.

I don't think most of us on here, with the exception of maybe one or two people, could "safely" land the airplane. If you've never flown anything to begin with, or anything like a larger airplane, how can you expect to know what actually flying a real airplane is really like, and then expect to safely land it?

I knew just about every single thing about the airplane I was flying last summer before stepping in the cockpit (in fact I was tested thoroughly on it), but nothing could have prepared me for that first flight. It was a feeling I've never felt, and even though I got the hang of it fairly quickly, there's no way I could have just taken over the controls and made a safe landing (without some luck on my side).

I think safely landing an airplane, and then taxiing it back to the gate, is a dream that many of us have had, and although it'd be nice to think we could do it, the reality is that without any, or with limited flight experience, most of us couldn't do it.

They vary on Weight and CG of the aircraft, but in an emergency situation you need to have an idea of the Vspeeds (I.e. a good range) which I have memorized.
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    Its possible even at my age as I have flown on FSX so its possible. You just need to be cool and calm
    FSX does not qualify you to land an airliner. That thing is NOT realistic in any way. No flight simulator you find on your computer is.
    nwa FOREVER!

I definately think I could land an airliner. I've learned every system on Boeings and Airbii. I've flown Airbus sims, I would like to get down to CLT and get even more time in Airbus sims and even some time if a 73 or 75. I've done pre-flight flightdeck workflows (aircraft prep) before a flight with Captains. Hell I even think I can descend on the arrival, do everything by the book using checklist - It would help to get someone to handle the radios though. Granted I could do it, I think I have learned great radio phraseology. But it's just to much work while getting the aircraft preped and what not. I would even say you know what - lets take her all the way into the gate and not stop on a taxiway.

They vary on Weight and CG of the aircraft, but in an emergency situation you need to have an idea of the Vspeeds (I.e. a good range) which I have memorized.
    Why would you need too though - Go up on the FMC/CDU and go to Init and plug away at the soft keys and they'll be there.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    FSX does not qualify you to land an airliner. That thing is NOT realistic in any way. No flight simulator you find on your computer is.
    hey be nice for once, this ain't a debate forum, anyway Flight Simulator does give you some knowledge in flight but its not pro training, it would help me in this situation but more or less, the autopilot and ATC will basically do the work. Just hope for good weather. :lol:
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094