Thread: Strange event at JFK ATC

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

Strange event at JFK ATC

for some unknow reason, ATC changed runways in the middle of departures by instructing aircraft down 13R then to 4L, landings were also on 4R even though wind was 120 @10

anyone know why?
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Re: strange event at JFK ATC

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    for some unknow reason, ATC changed runways in the middle of departures by instructing aircraft down 13R then to 4L, landings were also on 4R even though wind was 120 @10

anyone know why?
    Most common reason is the winds may have been slowly shifting and forecasted to favor the 4's even more so they changed at a time when it wouldn't have much of an impact on flights.

Another common reason why they would do the change is if as Bill said the winds were forecast to change, and had already changed at EWR and they changed to the 04's there. It is easier to change all 3 airports at the same time to keep the arrival and departure flows in sync.

Runway Change

JFK regularly changes runways around 1350 daily unless there is a strong wind or poor visibility. This is done for noise abatement to spread the noise of departures around. They have been doing this for decades. It affected me when I was doing photography and suddenly aircraft would land somewhere else. It impacted me because I have no car so I got stuck at a location with no aircraft.

Its drives me nuts when ever i end up in a comfortable spot to take the pictures they end up switching runways and yes its a pain if you dont have a car. I mean i have to deal with using MTA to get around.
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

On Friday around 3pm they switched from 13R to 22R for departures and had to move a bunch of planes already lined up. The ATC transmission was funny--it went something like American 123 take taxiway (__) to 22R, United 234 follow American, jetBlue 345 follow United, Northwest 456 follow jetBlue, etc.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Thats how they do it at EWR too. It is easiest to just give 1 flight the instructions and have all other follow them. Just give each a hold short point which just may he short of 22.