Thread: F14 at FRG??

F14 at FRG??

a friend of mine told me that he saw a f-14 take off from frg today?? can anyone confirm this?.. he also said that someone on the airport has a private one in one of the hangars (black and silver) i find that part truely hard to believe.. but i can be wrong.. all he said is he saw it take off.. then after t/o the wings swept back and it was gone, had 2 engines, 2 vertical stabilizers. I figure if anyone would know of this it would be you guys.

That would be quite a trick! The only F-14 at FRG will sadly never fly again, it's an empty shell of an airplane parked over at the Airpower Musuem (Actually in the hangar right now). And a private one? I don't think so. The bird at the museum was the last Tomcat flying, she was retired last October.

There were 2 F-18s at FRG for the airshow this weekend, both were two-seaters, twin engine, twin tails, that is most likely what your friend saw, just got confused about the wings sweeping back after take off.

Sorry, but to see a Tomcat fly....you need to go to Iran. This is becuase the U.S. has no flight worthy F-14's. As nice as the info your friend gave you, He was mistaken. The only thing that was around Farmingdale this weekend with swept wings woudl be the B-1B that did a flyover, but he never swept the wings over KFRG.

I wish your friend was right... Are you sure he was not hitting the sauce in the 56th fighter bar?

I wish I was wrong! Here is what happened to that F-14 at KFRG

Here is a video I made of the Last U.S. Tomcat Flight, October 4th 2006
    http://fromtheflightdeck.com/VideoLIW/F-14-640.wmv

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Don't listen to that guy anymore, there are people who love to say any loud Fighter is a F-14, some guy at the gas station told me the Blue's were in town for the show, along with some F-14's. That's when I tuned him out, some people just don't know. I couldn't tell you what half ( or more ) of the airliners are on the board, that's why I try to keep my yap shut when I don't know.

Thats pretty much what i thought!.. i knew i was right and i figured if i didnt hear about it here that he was wrong. Trust me.. i wish as much as everyone else that the cat was still flying..