Thread: Not a Happy Camper---DOA DSLR-w/Photos

Not a Happy Camper---DOA DSLR-w/Photos

Well, unfortunately I've had my first bonehead experience with an SLR after almost 20 years of using them. I was at the airshow two weeks ago at MGAFB and my 7D slid off my shoulder as I was turning around to put my backpack in the trunk of my car. Two feet and two bounces. The time was 8:55 AM, right as they were opening the gates to the show! And to make matters worse I had my 100-300 APO mounted!
    Needless to say my whole day was ruined but I plugged away anyway. I was able to get shots of the tankers and display aircraft but once the show started, the AF didn't work correctly.....can you say IMPACT DAMAGE! I suffered through the day and put the camera away just as the Thunderbirds were taking off and just enjoyed watching the show.
    Sony is the service agent for the KM cameras and they want $200 just to look at the camera. So, with such a big investment in the lenses and accessories that I have, it looks like I'm going to have to purchase a Sony Alpha DSLR. I'm not too happy, I'd love to go with Nikon but my current investment is too big in KM.

Here are a few that were taken at the show that day. I went to Jones Beach yesterday but just watched, no DSLR :cry:

Sorry to hear that. Nice piece of glass too. Do you have another camera you can use to show the extent of the damage?
    "lol retart"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    sorry about the camera, nice shots though
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Oh man that is tuff, I see what your talking about your autofocus is done.

Re: Not a Happy Camper---DOA DSLR-w/Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Bellucciman
    Well, unfortunately I've had my first bonehead experience with an SLR after almost 20 years of using them. I was at the airshow two weeks ago at MGAFB and my 7D slid off my shoulder as I was turning around to put my backpack in the trunk of my car. Two feet and two bounces. The time was 8:55 AM, right as they were opening the gates to the show! And to make matters worse I had my 100-300 APO mounted!
    O-O-O-H-H-H-H ... how I feel for you!

Something like that would devastate me. Was some of your gear at least insured? Talk about your day-killers!! Do hope it all works out for you in the end.

Mike (shamrock838)

Nope, not insured. But the forutnate thing is that since I work for KM I was able to get the equipment at a pretty good discounted price, so it doesn't hurt as bad. But it still sucks. The thing about the Sony DSLR is that it takes the KM lenses and flash units but the batteries and verticle grip do not mate. So it sounds like Ebay for those items!