Thread: A Concorde in the Park.

A Concorde in the Park.

So I decided to bike my way from Prospect Heights in Brooklyn to JFK via the Belt Parkway path. When I came up to Floyd Bennett I remembered that G-BOAD is parked there. I went in and I must say that it's quite an impressive sight looking at it from the ground up. Very sleek, like a dart, hardly any seams at all, you can go right underneath the nose and to me what is most amazing is how little width there is. I mean it seemed my body could fill the entire cockpit. You can also see the Rolls Royce/SNEMCA logo on those beautiful engines as well as some finches nesting in the right outboard (facing the nose). There is also I believe a Stinson on display as well. It makes for a nice outing.
    Spotters have been Homeland Security before HS was a glimmer in the president's eye.

Ah Floyd Bennett Field, my old stomping grounds when I lived in Queens.
    I used to take my kids there every weekend. For me it was great helo watching at the NYPD Aviation Base and the former Air Station Brooklyn
    and for them they learned how to ride bikes and roller blade on the old runways. Pretty cool that they refurbished the old hangars for the Aviator Sports Complex and ironic that the Concorde is on static display on the ground because I used to see it all the time while at Floyd either departing after 2PM or arriving around 5PM.
    BTW when I was at Floyd back in the 90s watching the copters at either PD Base or the Air Station (And taking video/pix) I was never approached or hassled by anyone for spotting/picture taking. Maybe it was because I was a reegular there and actually got to chat with some of the PD pilots. But I always told my friends I was never hassled because I had my kids with me, they were pretty young back then. Maybe thats the ticket to spotting. Bring your kids (Or rent some lol).
    Sadly Air Station Brooklyn is long gone to Atlantic City and the PD Aviation now in their old hangar is all part of SOD base and tightly kept off limits to all civilians.