Thread: Memorial Day Weekend: JFK-ATL-DHN-ATL-JFK

Memorial Day Weekend: JFK-ATL-DHN-ATL-JFK

So this weekend kicks off my first real "Travel Season" for both business and vacation. For memorial day weekend, I'll be going to visit a good friend from college who is in training at an army aviation base near Dothan, Alabama. The ticket was extremely expensive however when I priced it, upwards of $1100, so I used a whole bunch of points from different programs to get an award flight via DL Skymiles.

I'll be flying JFK-ATL-DHN Saturday morning and DHN-ATL-JFK Monday evening. The highlight of this trip is my first flights on both the 777 and 738. If anybody is out spotting Saturday morning and happens to catch Delta #17 departing to ATL, that's me! I've always wanted to see a pic of an airplane I was actually flying on at the time!

Next week, JFK-CDG-JFK, and then a bunch of trips around the country throughout June!
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

Just a little tip about Dothan you might not be aware of. Pemco has a large overhaul facility there that does among other things cargo conversions on aircraft as large as the 744. So even though the largest aircraft scheduled in/out is the CRJ good chance you might see a few much bigger aircraft there with a little luck. Have a great trip !

LGA777

My brother went do DHN once. He thought it was funny when the only gate there was Gate 2.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

I went to school with these twin girls from Dothan when I lived in Jamaica. OMFG Bama knows how to grow them in the genre of families that don't double dip in the gene pool.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Great tip Ron! I figured it was a regional airfield with just the ASA CRJ's running back and forth from ATL and some GA traffic. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout with my camera ready!

LOL @ SRQ, I know, I'm excited to go down there :twisted:

Sounds like a good little trip Andy! Have fun!
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    i still wonder why Delta uses the 777-200 for one JFK-Atlanta flight, can't they just start saving money and use the CRJ-200?
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    i still wonder why Delta uses the 777-200 for one JFK-Atlanta flight, can't they just start saving money and use the CRJ-200?
    The 777-200 flight is a repositioning flight for the JFK-BOM-JFK flight.

Iberia is correct, Delta 16/17 is the only 777 flight for Delta at JFK. Delta routes BOM-JFK-ATL in order to swap ships for maintenance, etc.

So I've returned from my trip and it was awesome! DHN is a fairly tiny airport by comparison to most, but I did see 2 or 3 Southwest 737's in the PEMCO hangar. I also toured Ft. Rucker which is an army aviation training base, so that was cool as well.

I had a chance to do some spotting at JFK before my first flight out and at ATL during my connections, and the highlights for me were catching the Evergreen Supertanker 747 at JFK departing 31L with a nice sunrise type of shot, and the new Delta colors 757 arriving at ATL. There was also a CRJ in the new Delta colors parked at a remote stand, but I couldn't get a clean shot of her. I've been hunting an action shot of the Supertanker for a while now, so this is a big accomplishment for my "spotting career" :D

Pictures and movies from my flights forthcoming, though it may take a while for me to get the chance to sit down and edit the pictures and movies.

I am glad you had an awesome trip. How were the ladies? ;) Also I am very intrested in your trip to Ft. Rucker. What kind of choppers did you see and might I place a special request for pictures?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Unfortunately there were fewer attractive ladies than I would have hoped for, but there were still some. As for the helos, there weren't any flying at Ft. Rucker this weekend because of the holiday (most of the base emptied out with people going home to their families). I did take a number of pictures from their Air Museum though. I will post those as well once I can sit down and sort through everything. Between pictures and movies, I took 13 GB of media that I have to sift through!