Thread: Virgin America gets ok to break its cherry

Virgin America gets ok to break its cherry

AP
    Virgin America Gets OK for U.S. Airline
    Friday May 18, 4:54 pm ET
    By Alan Zibel, AP Business Writer
    Virgin America Gets Approval for U.S. Airline, Agrees to Replace CEO and Other Concessions

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Startup airline Virgin America won final approval Friday to take to the skies in the United States.

Federal regulators approved the company's revised plan to operate U.S.-based commercial flights after the company made numerous concessions, including replacing its chief executive, to allay concerns about the foreign ownership stake of Richard Branson's London-based Virgin Group Ltd.

Service is expected to start this summer with flights from San Francisco International Airport to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

In a statement, the Transportation Department said Virgin's revised plan, filed in January by Burlingame, Calif.-based Virgin America, is now in compliance with laws that limit foreign control of domestic air carriers.

That includes company ownership rules that cap foreign control of a U.S. airline at 25 percent of voting shares. Virgin also agreed to replace CEO Fred Reid, the former Delta Air Lines Inc. president hired by British billionaire Branson, founder of London-based Virgin Atlantic Airways.

The DOT said it concluded that replacing Reid with a CEO not affiliated with Branson's Virgin Group would alleviate worries about the airline's independence. Reid will be allowed to stay with the company for six months after its start.

"This has been quite a journey, but I'm truly happy that we will be able to launch our airline," Reid said in a prepared statement.

Other DOT conditions include requiring U.S. directors on Virgin America's board to approve a trustee to represent Virgin Group's 25 percent stake and reporting to federal regulators any loans Virgin Group plans to make to the U.S. carrier.

"It's tough to think of a company that has done as much to meet our standards for becoming a commercial airline," Transportation Secretary Mary Peters said in a statement.

In December, the DOT tentatively denied Virgin's application, mainly because of ties to Branson, who has long said he wanted a U.S.-based airline.

Virgin America in January proposed concessions, including selling more stock to U.S. investors, eliminating one of three board seats awarded to Branson's Virgin Group and, if necessary, replacing Reid.

The airline also named Samuel Skinner vice chairman in late January. He was Transportation Department secretary under President George H.W. Bush in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Major U.S. airlines, including AMR Corp.'s American Airlines, Delta Air Lines Inc. and Continental Airlines Inc., unsuccessfully sought to prevent Virgin America from flying. The AFL-CIO labor union also has been critical, arguing that workers would be harmed by more foreign involvement in U.S. airlines.

Within the 12 months of startup, the airline plans to serve San Diego, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Washington, D.C.'s Dulles International Airport. The company is also considering numerous other cities for future service.

American Airlines fell 26 cents to $26.74 in after-hours trading and ended the regular trading session up 3 cents to $27. Continental Airlines fell 34 cents to $37.87 in after-hours trading and ended the trading session up a penny to $38.21. Delta Air Lines rose 9 cents to $19.40 in after-hours trading and ended the trading up 29 cents to $19.31.

Ok, that title was a HORRIBLE joke lol.
    nwa FOREVER!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    lol the title, wow nice to Virgin expanding
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I wonder how the loads for the inaug flight will be. I would not mind popping Virgins cherry for NYCA.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I look forward to trying them out when they start. Methinks it's time to take up my sister's offer of visiting her in San Fran.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

New Virgn America Plane Names

Rather than start a new topic, here are the names of VA's first 8 planes:

Jefferson Airplane
    Jane
    Virgin & Tonic
    An Airplane Named Desire
    Fog Cutter
    Contents May Be Under Pressure
    Airplane 2.0
    An Airplane Named Desire

Favorites? I'll pick Jane.
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Whoa, Jane....How many people you think got that?

Anyway, kudos to Winglets for taking on the Cherry!
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

break...or pop...? :D

Pop it is. After I fly on them I will sure need a cig I hope. Will the service be that good? We shall see.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Pop it is. After I fly on them I will sure need a cig I hope. Will the service be that good? We shall see.
    it isnt the size ryan...its how you fly it...

i know im setting myself up for a comeback but oh well 8)
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

My favorite would have to be Fog Cutter - Can't ask for a better name to see at SFO.

One word Alex, Hammerhead.

[quote=Alex T]
    Quote Originally Posted by "hiss srq":8e15d
    it isnt the size ryan...its how you fly it...

i know im setting myself up for a comeback but oh well 8)[/quote:8e15d]

You'd crash and burn. LOLOLOL