Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone listening to JFK tower? -radar services terminated

Anyone listening to JFK tower? -radar services terminated

So, I just tuned into JFK tower, and the second transmission I hear is a pilot of a Cherokee trying to make small talk with the controller (the one who lashed out at those overseas airlines) during the international rush. Here is what I think I heard:

Cherokee: So, how about that weather?
    JFK Tower: Cherokee ******, I don't have time to chat right now, radar services terminated climb.... (don't remember the whole thing)
    and then in a very humble voice comes" Climb.... thanks for your help (in a humble and sarcastic voice)

Fun :D
    nwa FOREVER!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    yep ATC is a serious job
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    yep ATC is a serious job
    Nah that's just JFK tower, you should hear how these guys treat allot of the pilots. Its a stressful job but a degree of professionalism should be maintained. I recently heard a controller yell at a Delta pilot for no reason at all. The pilot made a simple request and the controller started to yell at him about having Delta's entire fleet on the ground and he should tell the ramp to get with it. This kind of stress and overreaction are not called for.

It happens. Trust me when your trying to keep a picture in your head during a rush and someone calls in with information request not vital to information you just kind of react because you are trying to maintain that picture and focus. Even here with ramp control when I am trying to keep a sequince in my head I do not want to be bothered with needless banter like oh is this and this happening.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I was listening to one of the ATC clips from the JFK tower that they have on YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SUnVlyyar4M

And my favorite part of the clip is when the ATC guy says to an Iberia A340-600:

"Your enable to do anything in that plane of yours sir."

:lol:

I agree that useless banter should be kept off of the airwaves when traffic is at its peak, but at the same time the job of ATC and also ramp controllers does require one to multi task in a faced paced and sometimes stressful environment. I know it is hard to decipher a lot of what many foreign cockpit crews are trying to say, but again professionalism and a calm, collected demeanor should be a controllers priority.
    You're Never Too Young To Be A Dirty Old Man

Oh, I completely agree. Right now my biggest frustration lately is the French Canadians flying JAZZ CRJ's into LGA. Sometimes they will go off inot a banter and I will be like whoa whoa hold up last aircraft to call please repear callsign and request slowly. I am a bit fast paced so when I get hard accents it slows my picture and my progress. The other thing I hate is Saabs, umph! Than they sit for ever it seems like on Alpha before they are ready to get moving and cause litteral traffic jams sometimes here at LGA. Earlier today I was working three at once on diffrent corner of my authority. urrrrr
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    looks like im headin to a stressful job
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

You certainly are. Espesially if you want to work Terminal or TRACON here in the New York area unless you go up to an airport like BDL.

when a VFR aircraft leaves the class B airspace, atc terminates radar services unless they're gonna receive flight following from the tracon

when a VFR aircraft leaves the class B airspace, atc terminates radar services unless they're gonna receive flight following from the tracon
    This is the real reason, with the Cherokee out of his hair , this controller has one less aircraft to give traffic advisories to, and the pilot can just as easily go to LGA or APP for flight following.

It's really not as stressful of a job as everyone says it is. Sure if you add a few mesoscale complexes across your finals during the summer then yea sure it will get a bit hairy coordinating releases out of the hold with the Center and vectoring guys all over and off the final in every which direction. Other than that if your humble then everything is good.

It's really not as stressful of a job as everyone says it is. Sure if you add a few mesoscale complexes across your finals during the summer then yea sure it will get a bit hairy coordinating releases out of the hold with the Center and vectoring guys all over and off the final in every which direction. Other than that if your humble then everything is good.
    Break rooms with recliners, sofas, satellite tv's, closets full of soda and snacks... you're right its not!

I like the cab personally. Who needs a break room? Being payed to spot is great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    I like the cab personally. Who needs a break room? Being payed to spot is great stuff.
    Ehh cabs are boring. Usually overcrowded due to the floor space being to small. Nothing beats blendin' dem finals.