Thread: 3688 declared emergency landing at LGA no flaps in progress

3688 declared emergency landing at LGA no flaps in progress

Flight 3688 is inbound to LGA no flaps situation coming in from SDF. Iti s an Air Wisconsin CRJ-200. I will update as soon as she is on the ground etc etc... Time to get to work on it though. Just got the call from Port about it.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Shes in and safe as expected. They landed her on 13 as the wind was right down the pipe. First time I have ever seen a CRJ flare soo much but I guess that is what happens when you have a no flaps situation on a CRJ lol. She is ferrying out to either PHL or MKE depending on which MX base dispatch decides to fly her to later. If you want to track her though the ferry number is 9366.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    hey thanks for the info, thank God for spoliers and brakes
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Why wouldn't she divert to JFK, with a longer runway?

Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    Exactly what I was thinking. LGA is the worst airport for that situation it seems, no?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Yea JFK would seem more logical since their runways are longer, and there isn't water at the end of most of them.

But, ultimately it's the pilot's decision on where to land, and with them flying a CRJ-200, I guess they figured they had more than enough runway to make a safe landing with no flaps at LGA. Not to mention that a no-flap landing would not seem like an extremely critical situation in a CRJ-200, and worst case scenario, the crew goes around and either diverts to JFK or attempts the landing again.

I bet they came in real low on the approach though. Must have been a sweet sight to see, especially from the Rikers Island bridge!

Actually they came in on a standard glideslope about 15 knots above normal and flared really high which was the coolest part to see about it all . They could have stopped with about 1500 feet of runway remaining but rolled to the end to keep the brakes cooled off. I was working the flight so when he called me on frequency I told him hey nice flare. I bet that is something you were not used to anymore. He laughed and I cleared him in. They ferried out without MX having a major peek. MX signed the ferry permit and sent her out. It was no big deal all and all. We did not even close operations for it. Just held everyone on Bravo or less meaning on the ramp once he crossed the middle marker. It turned out to be a non event but Port somehow had gotten wind of it before we did in the tower.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by G-BOAD
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Exactly what I was thinking. LGA is the worst airport for that situation it seems, no?

company is at LGA and taking care of the pax, crew and mx folk not to mention the airplane would be very hard considering that AWI has no presence at JFK and especially there who handles them. besides, it's a simple no-flaps landing. all that means is that it's coming in faster than normal.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.