Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JFK-MIA, Baby's first plane ride (with a few pics)

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

JFK-MIA, Baby's first plane ride (with a few pics)

It was the baby's first trip. We flew AA down to MIA to see my grandmother in Miami and stroll with the baby along South Beach. Also, we love Cuban food and Miami has some great spots.

We left the house @0520 and got to JFK by 0605, parked and got shuttled to Terminal 9, which is just lovely. (Request to Steve, please take some great shots of the AA logos just past security. That is a brilliant touch) I just love what they are doing to that terminal.

The line for security was sparse. Within 20 minutes of checking in, we were upstairs in the AAdmirals Club and facing the Ramp Tower for AA.

After some coffee, reading and email, we left the club and headed to the gate for boarding. We originally had a pair of window seats. (we'd take turns holding the baby) But when we gate checked the stroller and car seat, they moved our seats to the center 3 seats in the aisle. So baby got his first seat, all to himself.

Flight AA 1165 was on a 762, #324 was on the nose gear.

We boarded and got to our seats. While I was somewhat happy about him having his own seat, I was a bit disgruntled not being by the window :( C'est la vie.

We departed off 22R. The takeoff angle seemed extreme but I was not sure if that was genuine or due to parallax of being in a seat I am not sued to. But it did feel like our 767 was attempting to takeoff like a 757 :)

Departure seemed odd. We departed straight out over the water but then leveled at what seemed like 4000 feet and then turned east and flew alongside Long Island until we got to Freeport. Then we turned south again and started to climb once more. I thought this was bit unusual. Perhaps this was due to EWR traffic?

HUGE HUGE Congrats to Sebastian on his first flight. He cried for 5 minutes. 2 minutes on takeoff, three on landing. He is a natural aviator ;)

Landing at MIA was ROUGH. Lots of hard winds battered the plane with many last minute adjustments and float over the runway. Finally the pilot just dropped the plane at what seemed to be near the halfway point of the runway. As he taxied off and past the AeroSur N753NA, we could see parts of the plane left behind on our runway ;)

(Phil, is that AeroSur an old NA plane?)

We spent the next few days in MIA with my folks. Just lots of relaxing and enjoying family. And of course, dinner and the baby's first stroll on South Beach and a look into Mangoes on the Beach ;)

They live near a smaller airlfied called Tamiami, where I got some shots.

They have a little air museum there, comparable to AirPower at FRG. In fact, while we have the 101 Tomcat, they got #100.

The trip back was on:

AA882, on an Airbus A300, ship #083. I have not been on these in a while. While I do not have the usual negative things to say about it that others do, I did find it had a roomy/high ceiling.

One thing about flying out of Miami's A terminal. Holy crap, what a disaster that place is.

We got to the gate, checked the baby's stroller but no seat changes today(I'm glad). We got our window seats and holding the baby was fine.
    The wx was really terrible as far as visibility. I am sure the fires had something to do with it. We could literally smell the smoke from the fires.
    But I did manage to get this shot. While she dodged me at JFK, I did see her in MIA and I was happy to see this.

Can anyone here appreciate the irony that is this photo, especially for me?

As for the baby and mom, they had a wonderful flight. A little bit of chop but nohting to worry about. Again, he cried only for 3 minutes on descent. We were elated.

We landed on 13L at JFK and the darkness had settled over the land. As such, the strobes directing us through the Canarsie approach were lighting up the night. Excellent. The landing was smooth. We turned around and as we taxied back to our gate, I saw Pink Delta land behind us. I've finally see her. She looks impressive even in the dark.

Thanks for reading, hope you liked.

Please post any questions or comments.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Nice report Mario...and GREAT Irony with that last shot!

II CCAANNTT TTEELL...
    "lol retart"

Glad to here Sebastian took to flying so well Mario. My 7 1/2 month old Maria Massielle has made 1 r/t to TPA so far and because of my loyalty to US (and the price) that means she did 4 legs, via CLT both ways, 2 734's, a 757, and a 319. Going down on the 734 and 757 she never cried once, god bless her, and again TPA-CLT on 734 #2 nothing. The minute we boarded the 319 in CLT she started crying, guess she's a Boeing girl already, but as soon as the bottle was finished another flawless flight with her, never crying once while airborne. (Sorry, overlyproud rookie father typing) !

Mario, on your JFK-MIA flight did the agent ask you if you wanted the new seats or as I interrupted it where you re-assigned without being asked once they realized you where traveling with an infant ?

And finally I really hope Sebastians Mom really enjoyed her first Mother's Day ? It was a great one for my wife !

Cheers

LGA777

I hear you Ron, I am so proud of him as well.

On the JFK-MIA, they switched us without being asked. As I saw it happening, I was thinking they might do that. I think it was a nice gesture to have Sebastian given his own seat.

I remember thinking I wouldn't really mind NOT having a window. But once I saw other pax peering out, I was left wanting ;)

Glad she enjoyed Mother's Day as well! I was a great day here.
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

Mario, you should let him hold your camera (just watch the drool). See if he points it up in the air!
    "lol retart"

Nice to see that the Wings Over Miami museum has their Tomcat inside at Tamiami. I saw that black PBY in MIchigan back in 2004.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    nice story
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

A few more photos from the trip. Hope you like.:

What is this exactly? Seen from Sobe.

Another gem for Tom.
    [img]http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/****rk.jpg[/img]

Taken from the back seat of an SUV highheels was driving at 70 mph. I was happy with it.

From the window of our plane, again, glad to see it. In focus ;)

What new terminal will this be?

a mixed bag of birds taken on takeoff.

What airline is this? apologies for low quality.

For Tom and the rest of the helicopter lovers.

The first one is a 707 of somr sort. Don't knwo whose, but I ahte you for getting it.

The plane onthe right in the hangar photo is N88ZL, a very sought after aircraft....again...a 707.

You suck. Great shots, but you suck.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil, I guess I am realtively naive about what's rare, so I am lucky.

You aren't going to like this next sentence then.

Can you figure out what is behind the clearer Focus Air photo?

That sir would be an ATA L-1011 Tristar. Yippeee do I win a prize?
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Wish I could have gotten a better look at her though.

Thats Tampa Cargo, based at José María Córdova International Airport in Medellín, Colombia.... They basically transport flowers between Colombia and Miami

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true
    Jordan Greene. - Happy Jetting

Cool shots and a good report. The new terminal has design concepts from Vegas's new D terminal.