Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it level?

Yes, I do that as well...but then I check the work with the grid. You can't be 100% precise with the measure/ruler tool, and sometimes it just doesn't look right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    Yes, I do that as well...but then I check the work with the grid. You can't be 100% precise with the measure/ruler tool, and sometimes it just doesn't look right.
    I'll have to give that a try next time, now that I know about it.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Yeah guys,

I use the measure tool AND the grids, but Mel, do you know how to increase or decrease the amount of grid lines? It is always either too little or too many I can't make out the lines very well.
    nwa FOREVER!

I did notice that when I opened that photo in PS, you had your resolution set at some obscene # like 1112!!!! That will decrease your grid lines tremendously (and it's totally unnecessary to ever have a dpi that high). I fixed it by reducing the rez. Usually, if you have a photo that's 1024x683 at 300dpi, you'll get a grid similar to the one I showed in the screenshot.

Not to go off topic, but the whole res thing comfuses me. What is DPi, how do you change it, and why do you use it?
    nwa FOREVER!

DPI= dots per inch (dot=pixel). The higher the better quality, the lower the crappier.

72 is standard for web size images, 300 is minimum for printing.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_per_inch

So would it affect photo quality for uploading to say, Jetphotos, if I lowered it to around 300? Also, how do you change it?
    nwa FOREVER!

No, actually....you should never have it above 300 for anything on the web. Bigger than that and your file sizes will become gargantuan. You really don't even need to worry about changing the resolution when editing your aviatoin photos from a camera. Just crop the raw file with 1024x683 and nothing in the dpi box, and it will maintain a quality rez.

If you do find that you want/need to change it, you do that in the image size option. If you are just changing the resolution, but don't want to affect the pixel size of your image, make sure you uncheck "constrain proportions," otherwise it will resize your image.

Here is what the image size info was when I opened your original photo:

And here is what I changed it to:

When you "Save for Web" PS automatically reduces the image to 72dpi.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Aha! The battle of the straightening techniques. I find it easiest to use the Straighten tool in Capture NX, and just draw a line along a horizontal (or yes, vertical) object... like the list post (but not a palm tree :-) ) It also gives you the option to automatically trim the portions of the image that would get the background color (usually triangles in the corners).

I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty

You can't always depend on poles...you should use a building if possible. You should also always cross check with the grid once you rotate.

Thanks Mel. Why did it jump from .912 to 3.413 when reducing DPI? I would think it would decrease.
    nwa FOREVER!

I really don't know what was going on with your photo....

But, you can change the dimensions all you want without the resolution changing, and vice versa - it will just affect the quality in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Thanks Mel. Why did it jump from .912 to 3.413 when reducing DPI? I would think it would decrease.
    Basically, at 1122 pixels/inch, it would take 1122 pixels to provide one inch of image, and since you only have 1024, it's .912. At 300 dpi, those same 1024 pixels are more "spaced out" and provide 3.413 inches.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Thanks for explaining.
    nwa FOREVER!