Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it level?

Is it level?

Before I upload to JP, do you think this photo is level? I have been having problems with the leveling thing (I think it is because I am using a laptop on an unstable surface...)

Also, is there anything else you think can be improved?

*image updated*
    nwa FOREVER!

Looks fine to me.

Ok, I will go ahead and upload. Thanks!
    nwa FOREVER!

By the way quality is better than that, had to reinstall Photoshop, forgot to set quality to 12. Just re-saved. I will change the pic for others who wish to review.
    nwa FOREVER!

Matt: laptop or not, you should be able to tell if it's level....I do all of my work, aviation and not, on a laptop.

TIP: In Photoshop, hit Control + ' (<--that's an apostrophe) and it will show you a grid. If you're on a Mac (since I know you're the king of them) hit Apple + '

Hope that helps. :)

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Looks pretty good, if anything it may need the smallest of CW rotation. The building to the left of the tail without looks like it may be leaning ever so slightly to the left. Check it in PS with the grid and see. Remember don't go by poles, use the horizon.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by Mellyrose
    I do all of my work, aviation and not, on a laptop.
    I know that the colors on a laptop are not close to the real thing, how do you deal with that?
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Macs are different :-D

You can also calibrate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    I know that the colors on a laptop are not close to the real thing, how do you deal with that?
    I don't know, 250+ photos on jp.net, all done on a laptop. It's all I use (and no, Mel, it's not a Mac). Never calibrated it, I just tweek it until it looks right. I will say that unless it looks a touch oversharpened on my screen, I usually end up with a "soft" rejection. I've just learned what to look for and how it should look when finished. I guess it's a Zen thing or something :D

Yeah, honestly even when I was on my Toshiba I never really had any issues. I think it just depends on the quality of the display.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    My Dell desktop is calibrated and I do all my editing on it. Comes out great and colors are pretty much dead on.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I never really had any problems with color before I would calibrate my monitor (CRT), but the biggest thing I noticed is that it's generally darker. I actually find it easier to go over to a horribly uncalibrated, and much brighter, laptop to look for subtle dust spots (though now that I've been introduced to "Equalize", perhaps not so much).
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Yeah, but I have it on my lap, never on a desk, so it is usually at a slight angle.
    nwa FOREVER!

Yes, but the grid will be on the photo Matt! You could turn the laptop sideways and it would still indicate what is straight:

My technique for leveling is to use the "Measure" tool (it's behind the Eyedropper (in CS2, at least)). To use, mouse over one point on the horizon and click. While holding, move the mouse to another point along the horizon and release. Then go to Rotate canvas > Arbitrary, and it will have filled in the amount of rotation (and direction) required to make your line level. You can always drag the ends of the line if you missed on the first click or the release.

Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"