Thread: New Camera

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar

New Camera

I am thinking about getting a new camrea for taking photos for planes as my parents Sony Cybershot is no the intended use for it, iam interested in the Canon Digital Rebel XT but im looking forward to one in the $200-$400 range
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

I'd try Ebay if your looking in that price range. You might be able to get an old Rebel 300D for that range but not an XT.

You also need to remember to calculate lens cost into that. You aren't going to be able to get an XT with a telephoto for $200-$400.
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That budget is not realistic. A D50 would be the way to go. A lot of camera for the 500-600 bucks and then a good zoom will cost you some sheckles too. If you want make a serious stab at av-photo you got to spend a little more money.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

$200-$400 is definitely not enough budget for this; you might be able to pick up a used Digital Rebel (probably not an XT) in that range, but most likely body-only (if you're extremely lucky, with the 18-55mm kit lens, but that's basically useless for aviation photography). To have any chance of getting shots at a distance, you'll need a lens that can do at least 300mm, which is at least another $150 for the Canon 75-300.

You don't need to spend thousands of dollars on a camera and lens (though it's certainly possible), but it is going to set you back at least about $600.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    so the 18-55 mm lens are not great? cause i found the Canon rebel with those lenses for $389
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    so the 18-55 mm lens are not great? cause i found the Canon rebel with those lenses for $389

the 18-55mm is a small lense. unless you're going to be rampside you'll need a bigger lens.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I might consider a sale here but it would be in the more 850 range price wise on my Sony. It is a few months old but I am looking for another camera at the moment.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController
    so the 18-55 mm lens are not great?
    You're going to need at least a 300mm. A 400mm is ideal but will set you back a bit in the wallet.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]