Thread: Advice on Photo Usage Request

Advice on Photo Usage Request

Hey everyone,

I received a very intresting usage request for one og my photos on A.net. Apparently someone from the BBC wants to use it in a documentary.

Here's the photo in question: http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1036941/L/

Anyway, the BBC wants to stick this photo in a documentary about the owner of this aircraft (the Saudi Minister of Aviation and Defence) who was involved in some arms deal.

I've just asked my contact what the BBC is willing to offer me for usage. My problem is, I have no idea what a decent price is. All of the photo usage guides are for print media only, no broadcast media. All I know is the BBC is a major broadcaster and this program is probably going to be viewed by a wide international audience. And considering this is the BBC, they can afford to pay me.

I mean, hey, I was on about 30 hours with no sleep when I shot that photo. I should be compensated for my suffering as a photographer, right?

Joe Wagner - KPHL
    "I think Big Foot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Big Foot is blurry... And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside." - Mitch Hedburg

Here is the market price for Royalty Free pictures, adjust as you think necessary.

Royalty Free Image Pricing

Size Price
    Small: (800 pixels W or H) $79
    Medium: (1600 pixels W or H) $119
    Large: (at least 2400 pixels W or H) $169
    X-Large: (at least 3000 pixels W or H) Starting from $229, depending on size
    nwa FOREVER!

$300 to $500, no less.