American Deaths
    • Since war began (3/19/03): Total 3335 In Combat 2728

• Since "Mission Accomplished" (5/1/03) Total 3196 In Combat2620
    • Since Capture of Saddam (12/13/03): Total 2874 In Combat2422
    • Since Handover (6/29/04): Total 2476 In Combat 2095
    • Since Election (1/31/05): Total 1898 In Combat1832
    • American Wounded
    • Total Wounded: Official 24764 Estimated 23000 - 100000

And the News Media would rather concentrate on Imus and Rosie than this.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Ok what is the point of this post? Are you trying to sway people's opinion against the war? I just don't see the point here. Does it serve as a memorial to our troops somehow? I'm guessing its simply your way of reminding people the cost of war. Perhaps however you don't buy into the fact that as long as we are over there the chances of an attack here are far less. Btw if your coping these stats from another source they need to be quoted with proper reference.

US Civil War: 625,000
    World War I: 116,516
    World War II: 405,399
    Vietnam: 58,151

Iraq war: 3,236

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_C ... casualties

Put it in perspective! It seems now that you have found out that we all aren't demo-commies here, you are trying to persuade our opinion. People have a right to disagree with you.

The point is, the Iraq war death totals are low, lower than any other major war.

This war will prevent things like, oh say, the whole Eastern coast of the United States being blown to pieces because a terrorist group got their hands on some WMD's from Saddam. Put it in perspective, and cite your sources.

*Ducks from punches for comments above!*
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    Ok what is the point of this post?
    Maybe it is just talking points for Hillary operatives/volunteers to get a "grass roots" "internet" campaign going with daily propaganda on random internet forums?

Maybe.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'm just here to try to figure this site out.

And I'm here to see if I can get interested in aviation enthusiasm.

I had some questions in my mind that I wanted to answer for myself by actually using this site not for my interests but for someone else's since I was asked.

So I just posted some things I thought might catch your attention, mostly to see what your comments would be - because I was genuinely interested in what others have to say.

I was particularly interested to see if you would be friendly and welcoming.

I don't have much expereince with forums and the like and I don't have much time to spend on this either.

I was surprised to note that most of the people who post here seem to have a hard right slant.

This does not specifically concern me one way or the other. People's politics are their own to do with as they please.

My concern was to answer some questions for myself. I did.

Kindly excuse any offense I may have given either purposefully or inadvertently.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSiteCongrats
    I was surprised to note that most of the people who post here seem to have a hard right slant.
    If you would actually look, it is about a 50/50 split. We have people from all sides of the spectrum. We just don't like being told to "Not respond if you don't like Hillary"
    nwa FOREVER!

What is there to figure out? Its a site that Phil put together that brought a bunch of people together to share a common interest.

A website isn't going to help you with that. Look up the next time a plane passes over, you'll know or not know what the enthusiasm is all about.

Most if not all the people on this site are friendly and welcoming. Simply because people differ in opinion doesn't mean their not friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    What is there to figure out? Its a site that Phil put together that brought a bunch of people together to share a common interest.

[quote:28fd1]And I'm here to see if I can get interested in aviation enthusiasm.
    A website isn't going to help you with that. Look up the next time a plane passes over, you'll know or not know what the enthusiasm is all about.

Most if not all the people on this site are friendly and welcoming. Simply because people differ in opinion doesn't mean their not friendly.[/quote:28fd1]\

I couldn't have said it better!

I disagree with a lot of people, but I am still friends with them. Heck, my best friend is nearly at odds with me when it comes to politics. Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinion doesn't mean they are not friendly.

Take me/Mel for example, we have gone at it on Macs, global warming, and probably a few other things, but I still think she is a great contributor to this site, a very kind person, and very funny at times. (But sorry Mel, macs still suck ;))
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS

So you need everyone to be Ableeding heart like you to go look at planes? Plenty of diverse people here and they seem to be fine when it's time to spot. Come on already.
    US Civil War: 625,000
    World War I: 116,516
    World War II: 405,399
    Vietnam: 58,151

Iraq war: 3,236

Exactly..
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Though the thread's intention maybe wasn't clear, I do think that several people here are assuming GreatsiteCongrats' negative intention as being anti-war. I think that when people post a political thread, that people should take the post for what it is, not a cntinuation of tense feeling from other political threads.

I read those original stats and didn;t assume negative....I saw numbers that, as nwafan posted, were small compared to other conflicts, though not insignificant. I saw the thread's intention as being on to start a political discussion in EITHER direction, leaving it up to the posters.

I think people should be a little more open-minded and friendly when it comes to political discussions. We all see what goes on at Anet, and a little self control and respect would keep everything nice and calm. We can't teeter onthe edge of personal attack becuase someone posted a political opinion.

With that, I think this site si intersting....as Anet has a hard left lean ont heforums, and though NYC is as blue as it gets, we've got a powerful Republican/right representation.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Though the thread's intention maybe wasn't clear, I do think that several people here are assuming GreatsiteCongrats' negative intention as being anti-war. I think that when people post a political thread, that people should take the post for what it is, not a cntinuation of tense feeling from other political threads.

I read those original stats and didn;t assume negative....I saw numbers that, as nwafan posted, were small compared to other conflicts, though not insignificant. I saw the thread's intention as being on to start a political discussion in EITHER direction, leaving it up to the posters.

I think people should be a little more open-minded and friendly when it comes to political discussions. We all see what goes on at Anet, and a little self control and respect would keep everything nice and calm. We can't teeter onthe edge of personal attack becuase someone posted a political opinion.

With that, I think this site si intersting....as Anet has a hard left lean ont heforums, and though NYC is as blue as it gets, we've got a powerful Republican/right representation.
    Listen dip $hit... j/k j/k j/k :twisted: Does that count as a personal attack? ;) I think whenever politics come into play it strikes a sensitive nerve with people. Politics have always been a touchy subject in this country its nothing new. In-fact I think it stems all the way back to our foundations as a country and our fight for freedom. If our forefathers had a discussion forum I could only imagine the personal attacks on King George and the U.K.

As long as threats and all out curse words aren't used a good healthy debate and some accusatorial strikes only lend to the flavor of the moment and the quality of the debate.