Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Major storm to impact Northeast...

Major storm to impact Northeast...

The storm system that brought over a foot to many of the Western States, and Severe Thunderstorms to the Central and Southern States (to include a tornado in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Area) is set to bear down on New England, as a Classic spring Nor'Easter.

Although NYC will probably see rain for most of the event (2-3 inches, with locally 4 inches) areas further West could see significant snowfall. Winds, and coastal flooding will be the main impact with the storm.

The central pressure of the storm is forecasted to be between 980mb and 990mb, equivalent to that of a strong tropical cyclone.

As with most storms, track is going to be the key to everything. A more inland track, even by 50 miles, and the storm doesn't turn out as impressive as thought, although remains a huge rain producer. People will always give the weather guys a hard time about busted forecasts, but it is simply amazing that a storm thousands of miles in length and width, with the power of millions of nuclear bombs, can be predicted days out in a fairly accurate manner.

This storm has been great to watch develop. After crossing the Rockies today, it just blew up, bringing a line of Severe weather along the associated Cold Front, stretching from the Central U.S. all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. There was actually a ton of potential for tornadic activity associated with this storm, which never really materialized (just a few tornadoes), but nevertherless, there have been many hail and high wind reports.

Without getting into too many meteorological terms, this is due in large part to the baroclinicity in the mid-lattitudes in the springtime (namely the month of April). This is generally when storms have the greatest potential for explosive growth, such as seen with this one.

Lots of cool info, but you didn't tell us when this would be happening. Apparently sometime this Spring. :-p
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

This is tomorrow!!!
    "lol retart"

Ahh, I am off for the entire weekend too :)
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Last night because of this same weather system DFW TWR closed for a short period of time as they sent the crew to the basement. A tornado passed very close to DFW.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Lots of cool info, but you didn't tell us when this would be happening. Apparently sometime this Spring. :-p
    Do you not watch the news? //hanging my head

lol, but yea tomorrow into Tuesday, depending on where you are...

Judging by the soreness in my ankle which I sprained badly about 9 years ago which doubles as a barometer and Doppler radar, I forecast a reeeeeally bad storm. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Oh man is tomorrow's storm looking like a good one! Wrath of God stuff kiddies!

Start hunting for diversions!
    Nick S. @ EWR

Quote Originally Posted by NcSchu
    Start hunting for diversions!
    I was just wondering if SWF will get any tomorrow.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    you're such an ass! how did you manage sat/ sun off rookie? i think i heard they're looking for people to take overtime at the counter though. someone volunteered you. see ya at work buddy!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I'm excited to be flying today. :?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    you're such an ass! how did you manage sat/ sun off rookie? i think i heard they're looking for people to take overtime at the counter though. someone volunteered you. see ya at work buddy!
    Hah hahaaha I refuse to be anyplace other than CLP in the twr or ramp control on a day like this. My cell phone is OFF! lol

And Phil, this is where it gets fun my friend.

So far this storm seems to have been over hyped. The rain has been steady but nothing I would call the worst storm in over 20 years. They were forecasting 40knot winds, I havn't seen them over 13 knots yet.

nothing over 8 at my house so far as I have been awake!