Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which School is Better???

UND is best. Do not piss your cash away at Riddle. Riddle is a rip off.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    And you know this because.....??

-Rich

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    riddle is a rip off. i went there while i was in AZ and i can atest that you'll get the same education anywhere. thier flight training is thorough, very throrough but if you want to spend $400 on an hour-long flight in a 172 be my guest.

now i know accomplished pilots that went to riddle and today have a great career. also, i know many pilots who went to a community college, got an associates degree in something, a bachelors in something else and spent the rest of thier money on flight training. bottom line is this, aviation today is not what it was 20 years ago. all people care about is money these days, so if you want to spend boat loads of cash and have a nice diploma hanging on your wall they by all mean, go to ERAU. personally, i would stay away from aviation schools. get a degree in whatever but get a degree. worry about flying separately from school.

after high school, i had a choice of 4 or 5 schools. i visited each one and wasn't really impressed by any. i ended up letting the army pay for most of it and ended up at ERAU in AZ. to be honest, i should have stayed in tacoma and went to a community college.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Boiler Up! :)

http://www.purdue.edu
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Please do tell of your experiences.

By the way, we're currently flying some of UND's birds.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    if you want to spend $400 on an hour-long flight in a 172 be my guest.
    I don't know where you get this number from. A C172, conventional OR NavIII w/ G1000 cockpits [which they will all be after this summer] are $92 an hour, plus around $49 for instruction. $150 is not $400.

I was accepted to a few major aviation programs and chose ERAU. A lot of money? Absolutely. I guess it's just me, but I view an education as en investment, not just an expense. And when I get to fly better aircraft that are better maintained and held to higher standards, I certainly don't see it as a "ripoff". Would I have gotten the same ratings anywhere else? Yes. However, having nearly every regional lower its minimums to ERAU grads, offer CRJ courses and pretty good networking is something I wanted to have available to me.

People choose to go there for their own reasons. If you hated it and have your reasons, that's fine- but don't give a biased opinion to someone trying to decide.
    Worry is a sustained form of fear, caused by indecision.

Here's a little bit of what I've personally seen from several ERAU grads, now flight instructors. I wrote this in the Jacksonville University thread a while back (located here http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtop...highlight=erau)...

I'm really no expert in the field, but all of the powered flying in our flying training program here (Air Force Academy) is contracted out to Embry Riddle.
    *Update, the Air Force is dropping ERAU's contract in September of 2007 completely. Don't know specifically why, though.*

A lot of the instructor pilots are ERAU graduates... and very cynical ERAU graduates might I add. While they are really nice people and all, and enjoyed their time at ERAU, many of them bitch at how expensive it was to go there, how they can barely survive because of the loans they have to pay off, and how graduating there has gotten them no further than "joe schmo" who went and did it the cheap way. In fact, a lot of them said if they had to do it all over again, they wouldn't go to ERAU, and they may not even have chosen to fly.

Now, I'm sure that not everyone from ERAU feels like that, and that many are really happy at their jobs, this is just what I've personally seen.

Also, if you're looking to fly for any of the airlines, it seems that all they care about are hours. All everyone talked about here was "I need to get X more hours to be competitive for a regional carrier". Therefore, going the cheapest possible way seems to be the way to go, so that you aren't paying off loans 10 years down the road.

I know this because I did a few programs and I have flown with many many people who went to Riddle as I was looking at the school. Why do you need to blow 60 grand on your first two years to NOT FLY really too much at all. Than there is the ever important fact that you can spend the first 2 years getting the same classes and credits at a community college for less than half the cost. Than there is the fact that you have to in most cases pay for your air time as well on top of the degree you going for. I will not argue the engineering classes there are second to none bot otherwise I would say go elsewhere for your time. More bang for your buck and on a side note the girls look like DOGS at the Florida campus.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I forgot to mention that my tution would be paid, through MET. (something like that)

with that said, which is better?

I was leaning toward ER (whatever u want to intial it) b/c they offer engineering courses in the aviation field. I want to be an airline pilot though, but I figured I could always fall back on electrical engineering.

I was kind of thinking of doing to FL instead of AZ, if that makes a diff.
    Thanks!

...and on a side note the girls look like DOGS at the Florida campus.
    Well, there's a well-thought argument, Ryan.

Hey it is something that I looked at and I am sure alot of other guys also look ath wen selecting a college I think personally. So why not toss it out there.

Well, I think that ERAU will have a better Aviation Business program. I think they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Hey it is something that I looked at and I am sure alot of other guys also look ath wen selecting a college I think personally. So why not toss it out there.
    Well, from the looks of your posts on this board, you obviously selected the best college - and how couldn't you have, considering your criteria?! :roll:

I never said that females were the critical factor but can I ever add a little bit of color without getting a third degree? I am pretty happy with my choices in life. I think I have accomplished plenty based on what I have learned and done and I feel safe to say that riddle is not worth it for what you can get for the same cost at other schools.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by engine46
    cancidas wrote:
    if you want to spend $400 on an hour-long flight in a 172 be my guest.

I don't know where you get this number from.
    while i was there one of my roomates would come back from a flight that cost that much while the other who went to a flight school paid half of that. if today's prices are cheaper then i appologize. i speak only from experience.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.