IND-MCO Trip Report

Air Tran
    737-700 w/ winglets
    Scheduled departure: 7:20 AM
    Actual Departure: 7:26 AM
    Scheduled Arrival: 9:28 AM
    Actual Arrival: 9:08 AM

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TRS4 ... /KIND/KMCO

We arrived at IND at around 5:30 AM for our 7:20 departure. We went to the AirTran counter and checked our baggage (we printed our boarding passes online the day before) and we were through to the food court by 5:40AM. Due to the early departure, I decided to have breakfast at McDonalds (basically one of 3 restaurants open at the time). I found a neat little spot to sit and eat, it was a whole bunch of tables surrounded by windows and you were in between 2 of the concourses. I finished up eating and proceeded to security. I accidentally forgot to take out my Pepsi can from the day before so they had to search my bag. I made it to my gate (C4) and saw that the departure board read “Air Tran flight 403, Early: 7:10” That was ok, it was only 6:30 at that point. I sat down at my gate and proceeded to boot up my laptop to do some photo editing from spotting the day before. 5 minutes later a pilot came and sat next to me (it’s must be my good looks! :D) He saw my desktop background and so we started talking about aviation. He is a FedEx first officer who was deadheading the flight. We discussed Embry Riddle and my plans to possibly go there, and FedEx’s fleet, the A380 and 777 as well as other random aviation stuff. As we were talking, we were interrupted by the announcement to start boarding at 7:00 AM.

I boarded one group ahead of me thanks to the kind AirTran agent, and walked down the Jetway. Man, it was cold! Almost had to de-ice… In April! Got to my seat and started to get out my camera equipment, I decided not to try to go up to the cockpit before departure. The flight crew started their announcement at 7:25 approximately. Flight was about 70% full. A short taxi to runway 32 and a quick takeoff later and we were in the air by 7:30. Flaps up, and a super quick climb to 10,000ft. As we continued to ascend, I noticed that we were awfully high. Finally, we reached our cruise altitude of 39,000 feet, that seems awfully high! That raises another question, what was your highest ever cruise in a commercial aircraft? Unfortunately the sun was on my side most of the way down, so no Pictures at cruise.

The flight attendants on this flight was average, not the best I have seen, but not the worst. They didn’t seem to be enjoying themselves, and seemed like they disliked helping the PAX, but they still helped them. Snack service was Biscotti, and I had a Sprite.

The flight was a little bumpy most of the way, not too bad, but a few air pockets in the climb. The decent was a different story, the whole decent was pretty rough, some people were actually clasping their armrests, I enjoy turbulence myself so I didn’t mind. The pilot announced the weather, including the wind, “Winds northwest at 28 miles per hour”. I chuckled at that point because I knew it was going to be a bumpy and windy landing! We continued our decent into MCO, flew the downwind and turned on final, again, pretty bumpy! Finally the landing came, probably the worst landing I have experienced, but understandable, he was fighting a bit of wind shear upon landing. Actually, he did 2 hard bounces upon landing before finally settling down.

A quick taxi to our gate and the plane started to empty. I stuck around to stick my head in the cockpit and chat with the pilots. I teased the first officer on his landing and we joked about it. Nice guy. Took the tram to luggage A, what’s up AirTran? After spending nearly a half an hour in the terminal, we waited another half an hour for our luggage! Finally it came. Overall, a fairly decent trip, nothing to complain about, nothing to rave about, looking forward to our flight on the 14th for further review of AirTran.

PICTURES TO COME WHEN I GET A BETTER INTERNET CONNECTION!
    nwa FOREVER!

28 MPH winds on landing must be really difficult. I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I suppose most trips to Orlando are for pleasure purposes, as mine was (see Trip Report YOW-MCO). Did you go see Mickey too? :)
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty

April 6, windy?? I don't remember that. I don't think it was that windy here in Daytona, which is about 50 miles from MCO (the city not the airport). Glad you enjoyed it though. I take it AirTran is a decent airline? My uncle flew HPN-MCO on Thanksgiving and it took about 1/2 hour to get his bags too, i guess that is normal especially since it is spring break up north I guess.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

MCO-IND Trip Report
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TRS394
    Air Tran
    737-700 w/ winglets
    Scheduled departure: 9:45 AM
    Actual Departure: 10:00 AM
    Scheduled Arrival: 11:43 AM
    Actual Arrival: 11:54 AM

We Left our condo around 6:30 for our 9:45 departure with a stop at Hertz before getting to the airport. Arrived at the airport at about 7:15 and proceeded to the fairly long line at the AirTran counter, luckily because we checked in online at our condo, we proceeded to a special line for that, and were through it within 5 minutes. There was quite a hike to the tram, that took a bit of time. Security took around 10 minutes but went smoothly. I first took the tram to the airside at which my plane was located at (gate 106) and left my stuff with my brother. I grabbed my camera and headed off to spot. Got a few JetBlue’s, Southwest’s and AirTran’s. That was basically all there was to shoot in my airside so I headed to the food court to get some breakfast. After eating I took the tram to the only other airside I had access to. Unfortunately most of the gates that had planes (all filled with Delta pretty much) were backlit. I watched as a 763 got a radar repair or something (inside the nose). The one concourse that I wanted to hit (the one with all the overseas airlines (Virgin Atlantic, British Airways, Condor, ect.) was empty, not a single plane at any gate. It was now 8:30 so I headed back to my gate to take a few more pics and get ready for departure. Boarding started at around 9:20, it moved quickly only taking around 10 minutes. They were looking for 2 volunteers and got them, I don’t understand though because there were at least 3 empty seats on the flight…..

I boarded and of course the flight attendants noticed me carrying my camera and taking pictures of our plane (and a picture of our pilots eating McMuffins, but it was blurry! :D), so they asked if I wanted to visit the cockpit, of course I do! I went to my seat and put my stuff down and moved my way to the front. The pilots were very nice, and chatted with me for a while. They showed me the flight plan and we discussed various pilotie (Of or relating to a pilot and his job) things, Very friendly guys!

Our departure was delayed around 10 minutes because the belt loader broke on us so they were doing it by hand. After watching the 717 at the neighboring gate push, we began our pushback. A fast-speed taxi later, we are stuck in a lineup of 4 for takeoff. About 10 minutes later it was our turn, smooth takeoff and climb. Around 12,000 things started to get quite bumpy; they stayed that way all the way to cruise and at cruise for a while. We were scheduled for FL340 but were re-assigned FL390 due to the weather apparently. Around 3/4 through cruise, things started to get bumpy again, quite bumpy actually and it never let up. The pilot came on and told us that there was 1 mile visibility in IND and 15 MPH winds. I should note I could not see a thing below me. In-flight service was a lot better than the first flight, the flight attendants were nice, and actually came around a second time for drinks! On this flight I had 2 packets of pretzels, a coke the first time (actually, a glass and a whole can), than a water the second time around. For such a short flight (1:50) I thought that was nice. The pretzels were good, better than the not-so biscotti that we had the way down (It was more of a gingerbread cookie).

We continued our decent into huge cloud cover, pretty much no visibility until around 1,000 feet, at least from my seat. We came in fast and rough, worse turbulence than the flight down, probably the worst that I have experienced. Touchdown was not too bad, but he did a bounce, better than the first flight. I went up after we got to the gate and chatted with the pilots a bit more, he thanked me for coming up and I left to go get my luggage. Since we were a bit late coming in, they were doing a mad-dash to try to turn around the plane for an on-time departure for the next leg (which had different pilots). The pilots for the next leg were getting on the plane as I was getting off. Luggage came within 5 minutes, a lot better than MCO.

Overall I really enjoyed AirTran for this leg, great service and great people!
    AirTran overall grade report (both trips):

On time: Gotta give them a B on this one, slightly late on first flight, and late on this second one, but not by too much.

Cleanliness of planes: A-, one piece of trash in my area on the first flight.
    On board service: A-, XM satellite radio was great, but on both flights they had to reset it at least once.
    Employees: I will do this in 2 sections since they varied so much each flight:
    Flight 1: B-, seemed really unwilling to help people. Maybe it was just too early for them?
    Flight 2: A, great service! Really liked them
    Average: B+

AirTran OVERALL: A-. Hope to fly AirTran again sometime real soon!
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by uplander
    28 MPH winds on landing must be really difficult. I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

I suppose most trips to Orlando are for pleasure purposes, as mine was (see Trip Report YOW-MCO). Did you go see Mickey too? :)
    Nope, a bit old for that. We went to Universal Studios, Blizzard Beach, ect.
    nwa FOREVER!

Video of IND takeoff: http://youtube.com/watch?v=R5mewHhwidc

Pics to come once I get the time.
    nwa FOREVER!

Very nice trip report, Matt. Nice video also, the flight attendant sounds awfully chipper!

Just to give you guys an idea of visibility while landing at IND, this was taken at about 3,000 feet, NOT in a cloud. It was this way all the way to about 1,000.

nwa FOREVER!

Too bad you didn't get to see any of the city on approach, because you can usually get some really nice views of downtown. That is if your landing on the 23's and I'm assuming that you were.

Sorry for such a delay, I have been swamped!

Pictures IND-MCO 4/7/07:

At the gate:

I didn't think this one would turn out!

AND..... a first for me.... My first JetBlue photo! Dedicated to all of the nycaviation members who have helped me along in this hobby, and in life since I joined. Thanks guys!:

PICS FOR THE TRIP HOME TO COME TONIGHT
    nwa FOREVER!

Nice shots, interesting to note that they directed you north out of IND even though MCO is south.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAIndy
    Nice shots, interesting to note that they directed you north out of IND even though MCO is south.
    Pretty decent winds probably limited what they could do. Plus traffic paterns.
    nwa FOREVER!

Boy, those MCO pics are all TOO Familiar.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012