Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Al Sharpton trying to get his pound of flesh

Sharpton is one of the most hypocritcal two faced peices of $hit out there anyhow. Imus IS getting a raw deal and perhaps he shoudld not be because there are too many other personalities on the "other" side of the radio show and general press side of things than can make similar types of refrences in either direction and it is okay. Is it okay because the Ms. Jones show members on 97.1 are ignorant? Is it okay because of a lesser expectation? Come on people get off Imus's back.

Note: I do not listen to that ****ty radio station but unfortuneately my little sister does.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

From Drudge Report:
    MSNBC DROPS IMUS INDEFINITELY: Effective immediately, MSNBC will no longer simulcast the "Imus in the Morning" radio program.... Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Hey, stop bashing old people... :lol:

this generation has opie & anthony... :shock: and, its really too bad about the "music"...

Anyway -bye bye Imus.. I suppose he will show up on satellite radio?
    One more reason not to get it...

btw... How is Howard Stern reacting to all this? getting the last laugh I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    Imus should be fired for being a ****ty radio personality.
    Unfortunately old people who remember listening to Imus' cokehead days in the 70s and 80s during the prime of their lives still listen to him despite the show having no information or entertainment value. He still makes money, so until his audience begins to die of old age, he'll be on the air.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

5:01PM: 1010 WINS/SLOMIN'S ALERT: CBS Radio has fired Don Imus.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

CBS and the lot of them should be ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I think they should be ashamed for not doing this sooner...

I have to agree with Tommy.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    I think they should be ashamed for not doing this sooner...
    Moose he didn't say anything that deserves termination! If it was a black DJ nothing would have happened. Its BS!

Once the advertisers pulled out it was pretty clear that he wouldn't be able to stay on the air for much longer. As long as no major companies with money were willing to sponsor the program there would have been no way to keep him on the air anyway. And I have to disagree with the thought that if this happened with a black DJ nothing would have happened. Imus targeted young girls, who were between 18 and 21/22 for these attacks, and that's why it's just so wrong. These college students obviously try really hard to manage college and sports and did make good gains in the season. And for him to completely shoot them down, call them *****s, and make fun of their looks is completely uncalled for, immature, and just rude. It doesn't matter that he's white, because most other djs who choose to target individuals go for people more their age. I haven't heard of any remarks in which any dj insulted young adults in such a strong manner as this and got away with it no matter what the color of their skin.
    Nick S. @ EWR

Quote Originally Posted by NcSchu
    I haven't heard of any remarks in which any dj insulted young adults in such a strong manner as this and got away with it no matter what the color of their skin.

Turn on HOT 97 once in a while, especially during the morning when it's talk. Granted, they have toned it down a lot, especially since Star and Buc Wild left a few years ago, but still some of what you hear might surprise you...

Just because black broadcasters get away with saying nasty stuff doesn't mean that Imus didn't deserve to be fired. EVERY broadcaster who uses racist language should be punished. When a black host makes the news for saying something racist, we should demand he be fired. We shouldn't only complain about it when Imus is getting booted. When Rosie made fun of Asians I thought she should be fired, and I think that when Mega goes on the air everyday using words that would earn an English-speaking station hundreds of thousands of dollars in FCC fines, they should be fired too. :)

It doesn't matter, though, Imus defenders, because in the end he wasn't fired because he "deserved" it...if that were the case he would have been canned within hours. In the end it was purely about money. CBS was paying him something like $20 million a year...with the loss of all the national advertisers, there was simply no way CBS would turn a profit on the show. Also, Sharpton and Jackson very likely tried to extort CBS during their meeting with Les Moonves just hours before the firing was announced. Moonves was probably given three choices: a. fire Imus; b. write checks to our respective organizations in the amount of $10-20 million; c. do nothing, and we picket every single Viacom owned property, from 60 Minutes to Comedy Central to movie theaters. Wanting to save a few bucks AND their jobs, Moonves, etc. dropped the axe on Don.

You're not actually accusing Sharpton and Jackson of extortion, are you?

</SARCASM>
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Imus will be back. Hot 97 has stopped answering the phone when I call. I would love to get on the air there. Ohhh boy would I love to start that fire fight!

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq
    Imus will be back.
    I don't think he'll be back any time soon. Had this happened a year ago, XM or Sirius probably would have picked him up. But with the two companies now trying to merge and having a difficult time jumping the legal hurdles involved, I'm pretty sure they don't want to risk adding a controversial (and expensive) guy like Imus to their payroll.

Thank god for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton

Don Imus was fired for calling the Rutgers University basketball team "nappy headed hos". Sure, that was inappropriate, but did the punishment fit the crime? Maybe we should look at the two guys who pushed this issue until Imus was fired.

Jesse Jackson says it's a question of morality, and what's right and what's wrong.

Just so we're clear:

Imus Calling Black Women "nappy headed hos": Wrong.

Jesse Jackson calling Jews "Hymies" and referring to New York as "Hymietown" : Right. (Washington Post, 1984)

Jesse Jackson having an affair and Impregnating Karin Stanford, then using rainbow coalition funds to pay her $40,000 and purchasing a $365,000 house to keep her quiet: Right

Jesse Jackson not paying child support for this child, and not visiting her: Right

Jesse Jackson Saying Duke La Crosse Rape Suspects who have been aquitted "deserved the negative attention" because they weren't acting morally by hiring a stripper: Right

I'm glad we have someone with strong moral values like Jesse Jackson to make sure nobody makes racist jokes on radio stations!

Thanks for showing us what's right and what's wrong Jesse.

And who can forget Al Sharpton, another strong moral figure who knows the power of words:

After District Attorney Steven Pagones failed to prosecute white suspects for raping a black girl (because evidence showed the story was fabricated) Al Sharpton accused Pagones Himself of raping the girl. Pagones successfully sued him for Defamation. Right

But it gets better:

In 1995, Sharpton led a protest in Harlem against the plans of Freddy's Fashion Mart, a Jewish-owned clothing store, to expand into a black neighborhood. Sharpton told the protesters, "We will not stand by and allow them to move this brother so that some white interloper can expand his business." Three months later, an armed protester forcibly entered the store and burned it down, killing himself and seven others. Right

Thanks Jesse and Al for showing us what's right and wrong. I'm glad we can finally see the light now. I'm glad you guys stopped this guy, and all his charities for sick and homeless children, that will now dry up. Thanks guys!
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan