Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SFB spotting 4-6-07 (Pics)

SFB spotting 4-6-07 (Pics)

A few shots from today while I was back-seating a flight.

Senga

Really awesome shots, Senga! I especially love that overview of the terminal showing the Thomas Cook and Travel City Direct, that's a keeper.

Pan Am! Am i seeing things?

Great shots! i really like the terminal overview, and the one in the cockpit as you line up for final.

Senga,

Nice shots...especially like that PA United parts plane tucked away in the trees! I see Lady Thatcher (N346PA) actually moved out of its parking spot and you got it moving!! From the air the Pan Am ramp looked empty. Did they move all of their planes out of Sanford? Or was it just a busy charter ops day?

-Rich

Lot's of Cooks! Especially love the two Southeast's Parked facing opposites.
    "lol retart"

So have you now conquered SFB?

Thanks for the compliments,

Yes I was happy to finally get a shot of the EX UAL and South East Airlines aircraft that are at SFB. The only way to photograph them is by air.

Yes SFB is still used to based the Pan AM 727s. If you are at SFB on the right day you can see much of the fleet on the ground.
    Bill,
    SFB keeps changing. I don' think I will ever "own" it. I have all the main stuff now accept the "one monthers". It seems to come in once a month.

Senga

Senga - That 747-3 is fantastic.

The Southeast DC-9s are a gem too.

Funny about the decrepit 727 tree'd in now. Is it a law every American Airport needs a 727 rusting away in the corner? They've taken the place of DC-3s.... :-)

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Yes thats so true Tom,
    Its like every city in the U.S with a sizable population and a runway longer than 6000 ft has either a American Airlines 727, Fedex 727-100 or a United Airlines 727!

MCO AAL 727
    SFB UAL 727
    SWF AAL 727
    YIP AAL 727
    IND UAL 727
    JFK FDX 727
    RME FDX 727
    ACY FDX 727
    Some of the airports I have seen them at.

Senga

Senga....you can add ATL to that list with a FDX 727 parked in a corner between north cargo and the Mercury ramp.

I was a little worried that Pan Am had up and left Sanford....your shots are the first time I hadn't seen ANY of their birds parked there. I've caught just about all of their planes at some point at SFB (you can see all of them on jp.net) but there might be a couple more parked up at Portsmouth.

It used to really be cool to see their operations a few years ago at SFB when they'd have about 7 727's running around the airport just about every day. Now you have to hope you're there at the right time to catch a position flight for a charter somewhere.

-Rich

Welp there you go yet another airport (ATL) with a stagnant UAL, FDX or AAL 727. I would be cool to see someone put up a wall take on a US map to see where they all are.

Yes I see at least 1 oe 2 Pan Am 727s at SFB up when I am there. They usually are not flying though. In fact theres one here now. There is also that Last Miami Air 727-200 (Black with Silver Tiger Stripes) flying for Pan Am. So far it has just been sitting on the Pan Am ramp for several days now. It flew in SFB about 2 months ago and flies once in while. Pan AM doesn't use PSM as much as they used. When looking at fligth history of Pan Am they have only been one flight to New Hampshire.
    They still are flying those J31s too. They seem to only operate those from FLM, TTN, BED and HVN. I remember when Pam Am started up again with their latest start up and theyt have they first route into Gary Indiana out of PSM with one aircraft. GYY built a small 2 plane terminal Building just for Pan Am.
    Rich do you know how many Pan Am 727s they are flying right now?
    If you are able to spend atleast 2 days at SFB you should be able to see one. I see them landing and hear them ont he radios a lot. I should be photographing them more than I have been.

BTW SFB had a Centurion Air Cargo DC-10 land here 3 nights ago or so and a USN P-3 Orion landed in front of me while I was taxiing short.
    Senga

Senga

I flew Clipper Juan Trippe from Orlando to Aguadilla in 2005 . Good memories. TMA dominated that place when I flew out of there.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

What was the flight like flying on Pan Am?

Senga

It was very generic. There was a "first class" cabin on board but I suspect that was more relic from her days with UA than a product really. The flight attendants were very very nice overall though. There were no cabin announcements from the flight deck. Strictly the ten grand chimes and F/A prepare for arrival comments. We got chips and soda on board. I booked with them just to say I was able to fly a PanAm 727 and make a few friends jealous to be honest. We flew home on Spirit from SJU. I would have rather flown PanAm home though. I reccomend flying them though to anyone who wants to shell out 200 bucks. It is well worth it. Just for the experince.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Senga,

That last Miami Air 727....what colors is it in right now?

They are only able to operate 3 aircraft right now. They have requested from DOT to add an additional 4 a/c to their operating certificate...but that has been hung up for over a year now. DOT is not too happy with Pan Am's financials and their suspect reporting of these figures.

It's tough to figure out exactly how many 727's they have left. There are at least 5 that are operational including the 3 that had been operating all of the sked/charter work; N342PA, N348PA and N349PA. N343PA and N346PA had also been flown into SFB within the past year and are presumably operational. Your shot of N346PA was actually the first time I had seen it moving. N361PA, N363PA, and N367PA were parked at SFB last year, but last I saw they had their engines yanked, maybe they were in heavy check and were flown back up to Portsmouth....don't know. I think there are still a couple of 727s in PA colors parked up there....these 3 included. N369PA and N364PA were in full colors 2 years ago but I believe both have been sold and are now operating for other carriers. Sooo...I think the quick answer is 7 aircraft in PA colors that could operate. They just can't do that right now until the DOT gives approval. There are also about a half dozen ex-UA parts planes scattered between SFB and PSM.

I flew on Pan Am Clipper Connection last year between Sanford and Atlanta. I found the inflight service pretty good compared to other domestics. I actually got a full can of soda and a decent size bag of Cheeze-Its. F/A's were very nice and flight operated on time. I'm definitely glad I took the flight while it still operated.

Senga - Pan Am has a quick sale on their web site for SFB-ELM for tomorrow and Thursday if you want to hop on a 727 while they last.....$79 each way. You could ride up and come right back. :)

As you can see I'm a fan of the meatball.....

-Rich