Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zoom UK OK'd for LGW-JFK Service

I really still don't see how much cheaper Zoom will be compared to the rest of the pack.

Also don't you think as the NYC Metro Area to London market grows that the airlines all ready established on this route won't just continue to add more service?

Don't forget Zoom will be flying JFK-LGW where the preferred route is JFK-LHR for most passengers, and of course no code shares or advantage program.

I think the industry is going a little Niche crazy and I gather in a few years from now we are going to be saying for airlines like MaxJet, EOS, Silverjet, and Zoom "Who"? They will be nothing more than memories and pictures for the photo archives of JFK and EWR history.

HAVE FUN QUOTING ME AND DISAGREEING WITH ME!!!
    Train exceeding medium speed must at once reduce to that speed!

Quote Originally Posted by s2vKJFK
    I really still don't see how much cheaper Zoom will be compared to the rest of the pack.
    Sample booking July 11-18

Zoom: $698.65
    AA/VS on Orbitz: $867
    Single airline option: $905

Difference: AA/VS is $168.35 and single airline (in this case, DL--to LGW) is $206.35.

Note that if booking UK-US, the fare for those dates works out to $517.61. That's a savings of $350.

Also don't you think as the NYC Metro Area to London market grows that the airlines all ready established on this route won't just continue to add more service?
    They'd love to, but LHR is slot restricted. Consider the case of when BA gets a new LHR slot. They may be able to fill a 744 year-round, but yields could be much better for example to HKG. And when BA has 9+ flights to NYC (JFK and EWR) but only 3 to HKG, HKG is looking like a better option.

Add in the theory of the A380--keep the same number of slots but increase pax count--and well, BA ordering the A380 is a wildcard and VS has deferred their A380 order to 2013 or thereabouts (causing some to believe VS will ultimately cancel the A380 order). Fat chance you'll see anything bigger than a 777 from a US airline NYC-LON.

DL is reportedly ready to jump on a second JFK-LGW flight, but is short on aircraft. New planes that join the fleet (777s in 2008...or next month if you believe the rumors) will be used for ultra-long-haul flights, i.e. ATL-JNB/BOM (maybe even another NRT if they can get the slot there) JFK-TLV. One theory is that when DL gets another 777, the 777 will replace the 763 and make ATL-JNB nonstop and the 763 previously used on the route will do JFK-DKR-NBO.

Don't forget Zoom will be flying JFK-LGW where the preferred route is JFK-LHR for most passengers, and of course no code shares or advantage program.
    Not getting FF miles would be a huge consideration for many of us here, but there are plenty of people who would trade $200+ in savings for 7,000 FF miles (which are probably worth somewhere between $70-$140).

I think the industry is going a little Niche crazy and I gather in a few years from now we are going to be saying for airlines like MaxJet, EOS, Silverjet, and Zoom "Who"? They will be nothing more than memories and pictures for the photo archives of JFK and EWR history.
    There are certainly a lot right now (and another one is expected to start soon), and while I'm not expecting all of them to last, I do expect a handful to last, either independently or through mergers.

HAVE FUN QUOTING ME AND DISAGREEING WITH ME!!!
    Don't mind if I do. :lol:
    Wings Down Under on Flightglobal

I am going to be using Maxjet in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see how the service is getting on and how it will cope with all this competition. I took advantage of its $599 each way specials.