Thread: Question about RON aircraft

Question about RON aircraft

When an aircraft is parked for the night (say an MD-80 or CRJ), they close the main door. Is it locked? How does it open again the next morning?

Also, do commercial airliners have a key to start up like a Cessna does? I realize it's much more complex starting up an MD-80 but I was always curious.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

We used to close the doors on our DC-8's but there is no lock. We just pulled the jetways back after MX was done with what they had to do for the night. On the 727's we also had MX raise/close the rear stairs. To open up in the morning, you reposition the jetway, open up the door by pulling out the handles and turning. No keys were needed for either the doors or start up.

Mike

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    that's just the kind of question that could get you into trouble... not smart posting it online.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I think it's legitimate. Normal to wonder how a door open. Doesn't necessarily mean there are intentions to breka into one and steal safety cards or anything.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.
    I think it's legitimate. Normal to wonder how a door open. Doesn't necessarily mean there are intentions to breka into one and steal safety cards or anything.
    I thought it was legitimate too--if you want to delete the question, Phil, the decision is yours. I was in PWM on the last flight out to JFK on Saturday, and I saw workers closing the door to a Freedom Air Dash 8 and it got me thinking.

A lot worse questions are posed online IMO...
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

I know at EWR the port(actually may be the TSA) has us put a sticker to act as a seal on the doors of the rj's when parked at remote spots overnight

It's fine.

I recently learned how to open various aircraft doors,a nd I had honeslty always wondered. I assume it's different on many aircraft.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas
    that's just the kind of question that could get you into trouble... not smart posting it online.
    Don't worry, I already put him on the "No Fly" list. :shock:
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

RONs need to not be easily accessible when unattended.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Yeah, from what I understand, if you aren't at the jetway, you should have a tamper-proof sticker on the door if it is staying overnight.
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Yeah, from what I understand, if you aren't at the jetway, you should have a tamper-proof sticker on the door if it is staying overnight.
    Aircraft seals with individual numbers are commonly used.

-Rich

Seals are not always required. In SRQ what we did was close the door and pull the bridges back to the box which was a good 5 feet from the door and than lock out the bridges for the night. As far as hardstanding a plane for the night, no need for seals. International carriers in the USA usually request it. CanJet when they overnighted 737's at SRQ always required seals. We would seal the door than pull the jetbridge ALL the way back. I will not say the procedures for LGA but trust me it is secure. RJ's dont really need it depending on whos it is. CoEx (ExpressJet) does not have thew stairs built into the plane so there is no need to seal the door. Just bring the bridge or steps back. Now if you want to know how to hit the boos closet on a plane without breaking seals thats a diffrent story.... :twisted: Just kidding!
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"