Thread: JetPhotos.net

JetPhotos.net

MODERATOR NOTE: This topic was split away from another thread.

I greatly enjoyed my first (freakin n00b!) spotting expedition, and thank you all for the warm welcome even though my fingers were freezing off. Thanks especially to Idlewild for chauffeuring me all around JFK.

They're big, so I don't want to spam the board with them until I edit them a bit further, but I have a few shots here.

By the way, tell me about JetPhotos. I'd never heard of them till today -- they look like a clone of a.net. are they better?

Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot
    By the way, tell me about JetPhotos. I'd never heard of them till today -- they look like a clone of a.net. are they better?
    You don't want to open that can of worms, my friend. They are somewhat competing sites. a.net tends to be more Euro-centric, while jp.net seems more US-friendly, I'm sure in part due to where each is headquartered. There are lots of fans of each site, A.net is has more photos, although jp.net is closing the gap. If you ask the a.net folks, jp.net is full of a.net rejections. Personally, I don't even try to upload to a.net anymore, I got tired of the seemingly arbitrary rejections, and jp.net gets all my stuff. As always, YMMV.

You got some nice shots of the A380, BTW!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    You don't want to open that can of worms
    Especially not here.....

they look like a clone of a.net. are they better
    Like anything else visit both sites and decide for yourself. I prefer anet. I never bought the BS about the rejections. In my experience a good capture and subsequent edit gets accepted. Give it a shot on both and you will find what site fits your needs.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Yeah, Anet vs. JP.net is almost as big of a debate as Boeing Vs. Airbus! And the "rejections" argument is not completely valid, since I know some people who have had their shots accepted to Anet that have been rejected to JP.net (But JP.net tends to accept more shots)

Some like one over the other, I find there are positives and negatives to both.

Here is my personal opinion on positives and negatives:

Anet:
    POSITIVES:
    (No bashing this please, personal observation): Tends to have slightly more high quality photos, not always, but that tends to be the trend.
    Better layout IMO
    Bigger community
    larger forums and news article section

NEGATIVES:
    HUGE upload queue time! (Usually more than 2 weeks, I have waited over a month!)
    inconsistency in acceptance/rejection of photos (Both are guilty of this)
    Slightly slower server
    Most pictures are of Europe, which gets sort of old.
    Over-moderated forum and strict rules
    Charging for use of forums

JP.net

POSITIVES:
    QUICK queue time! (usually 4 days or less)
    Fairly fast server
    Now has free forums from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong, but I was able to post w/o paying anything...)
    Not as congested as Anet
    more laid back moderators (IMO)
    Tom is a screener ;) (Although, this lowers my acceptance rates significantly! ;))

NEGATIVES:
    again, just like Anet, inconstant reject/accept standards
    Usually a lower acceptance standard
    not as big of a community

So really, it is your personal choice, I like both pretty equally. I upload more to JP.net because I hate the 2+ week screening procedure of A.net. Whenever I have a photo waiting to be screened on either site, I get nervous :)

Again, you will get an opinion out of everyone here, these are just my opinions. I feel one is not better than the other and vice versa.

I would try some uploads to JP.net if I were you.
    nwa FOREVER!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Anet:
    POSITIVES:
    (No bashing this please, personal observation): Tends to have slightly more high quality photos, not always, but that tends to be the trend.
    Better layout IMO
    Bigger community
    larger forums and news article section

NEGATIVES:
    HUGE upload queue time! (Usually more than 2 weeks, I have waited over a month!)
    inconsistency in acceptance/rejection of photos (Both are guilty of this)
    Slightly slower server
    Most pictures are of Europe, which gets sort of old.
    Over-moderated forum and strict rules
    Charging for use of forums

JP.net

POSITIVES:
    QUICK queue time! (usually 4 days or less)
    Fairly fast server
    Now has free forums from what I understand (correct me if I am wrong, but I was able to post w/o paying anything...)
    Not as congested as Anet
    more laid back moderators (IMO)
    Tom is a screener (Although, this lowers my acceptance rates significantly! )

NEGATIVES:
    again, just like Anet, inconstant reject/accept standards
    Usually a lower acceptance standard
    not as big of a community
    I do believe you nailed it! Very well said and quite accurate IMO. It boils down to what you want. Many upload to both.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Well done Matt,
    I was like uh oh hes gonna get nailed for going there! But I don't think anyone would disagree with your despcription.
    Fairly objective.
    Senga

Thanks Senga, I was cautious about saying anything for that exact same reason, but I decided to "go there" because the poster asked.
    nwa FOREVER!

I agree with a lot of what was said.

Airliners.net attracts a lot of the longtime shooters with a lot of talent. Many of them just don't knwo about JetPhotos.net, or they like going with the site that is more popular.

Airliners.net continues to do so well mostly because it was the first on the scene with several years of a headstart, and because the domain name itself is pretty dominating.

I like Jetphotos.net becuase it gives me more freedom in temrs of expressing artistic movies that Anet just does not allow. The only thign I would change is the color scheme, though I love blue and any similar change to it would look like a big copycat move from Anet.

I also love that JP's owner, Chirs Kilroy, is a real person, as opposed to the mysterious Johan at Anet. Not that Johan is a bad guy, but it seems liek his only appreances and public statements are to shwo off a new feature or to yell at someone ont he boards. Meanwhile, anyone who's ever met Kilroy knows that JP is driven by someone with a true passion for the hobby.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].