Thread: Spotting at Stewart?

Spotting at Stewart?

How is spotting there? Does the ANG there still fly the C-5?
    Patrick O --- Staten Island, NY

Spotting is great at SWF.

The Air Guard still flies the C-5, they have 12 based at SWF and I see them fly over almost everyday.

Wow, I thought I had to go to airshows to see them. How often do they leave? Do the MP's give you any problems there?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by nikon50bigma
    Wow, I thought I had to go to airshows to see them. How often do they leave? Do the MP's give you any problems there?
    Cheers
    I've never had a problem except for once when I was photographing up against the fence right next to a security post. I was photographing a diverted ATA 737-800 so I didn't really care what he had to say haha.

Sometimes you will see 1 C-5 doing touch and go's or coming in from a flight. Sometimes you can even see 2 or 3 but usually there at least 7 or 8 parked at the airport at all times.

Where was the ATA diverted from LGA?

Yes it was diverted to SWF along with a company 737-300 and some JFK and EWR visitors.

Over the summer diversions are a pretty regular sight.

Cheers
    The MP's are not on the terminal side.

Anyone know if they plan on re-opening the road that runs parallel to the runway any time soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Iberia A340-600
    Yes it was diverted to SWF along with a company 737-300 and some JFK and EWR visitors.

Over the summer diversions are a pretty regular sight.
    Why in the summer, I'd assume it would be more frequent in the winter? I've flow ATA several times in the summer and thankfully none of them were diverisyons

Quote Originally Posted by markg
    Cheers
    The MP's are not on the terminal side.

Anyone know if they plan on re-opening the road that runs parallel to the runway any time soon?
    TSA thought that it should be closed and it was closed by the TSA so I doubt it will re-open.

Was that the only spotting area?

Why in the summer, I'd assume it would be more frequent in the winter? I've flow ATA several times in the summer and thankfully none of them were diverisyons
    More often during the summer because we get more thunderstorms than snowstorms, and because thunderstorms are less predictable. Usually if they know it's snowing or about to snow at a destination airport, the flight just won't take off. Thunderstorms, on the other hand, can pop up unexpectedly while a flight is enroute, and if the storm doesn't pass the airport before the plane runs out of fuel, they have to land somewhere else. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

TSA thought that it should be closed and it was closed by the TSA so I doubt it will re-open.
    It has been quite a while since I've spent any time at SWF, but I recall that perimeter road that you could pick up near the terminal. Is that the road we are talking about here?

If that is gone, where do you shoot from now? I might have a chance to swing by there in the next month or so. I'd be interested in knowing spots that you like to shoot from.

Quote Originally Posted by SmAlbany
    It has been quite a while since I've spent any time at SWF, but I recall that perimeter road that you could pick up near the terminal. Is that the road we are talking about here?

If that is gone, where do you shoot from now? I might have a chance to swing by there in the next month or so. I'd be interested in knowing spots that you like to shoot from.
    I shoot from a couple of places which have great view of the runway. PM me if you'd like me to tell them to you. Once SWF becomes heavier with traffic I believe we will be adding it to the spotting map list and I will try and provide the locations for the map.