Thread: Photoshop Exposure Editing Assistance

Photoshop Exposure Editing Assistance

My last batch of photos that were taken with Mark earlier in the month came out decent. A full set came out where I underexposed the image and am trying to clean it up in PS2.
    Below is an example of what I'm experiencing. I think you know that I'm not an expert at editing, but I'm really not crazy about what I'm seeing. I don't know if this type is fixable or I'm just not using the right tools. Let me know what you guys think.

Original Image

PS2 Edited Image

Thanks!

Mike

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Well to be honest your shot suffers from poor lighting. I think Mark told me you shot at the mounds which explains it. The sun is obvioulsy not behind you and is only hitting the nose, the whole fuselage is dark. Can't fix that. Then when you try to fix it you just made it worse. No matter how greast PS is you still have to have the basics and a good light source lighting up the main subject is one of them. Unfortunately that shot can't be saved. Also watch where the subject is. It is not centered. Work on those and you will improve. Exposure can only be fixed in ACR which means you have to shoot in raw. Still though work on getting the best capture, and that is the proper light, exposure and white balance.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Hey, thank you for the tips. I've been thinking about trying out shooting in RAW, but I have to pick up larger CF card. You're right about the centering too. I've been inconsistent with my photos lately, I have to work on that. I did notice that any of the shots I took with the ships landing on 22R came out pretty good. I'll just have to spend more time out there! I think I can do that!

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Keep in mind the mounds are still not good and will take some time. That sun has to go a long way to be good for that location. Otherwise when you shoot go out of your way to get that sun behind you and practice framing it a little better and you will be fine. It doesn't hurt to buy some good books and subscribe to a good photog mag. You pick up great bits of info every time you read them.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

The only ones that I was really able to work with were the BA 747 that was later in the day and the ones on approach to 22R - I'm not too sure of there is a similar spot that would allow shooting in that direction for 22R approaches - maybe someone has another spot for that...
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

It shouldn't be that overexposed.

Without the orig. this is the best i could do:

nwa FOREVER!

That's much the same one I got - and I got a backlit rejection.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback and tips! Matt, I could send you the original file, it's about 3mb. But it's really not worth it, I think the photo looks soft too, damn camera shake. One of these days!

I would like the orig. if you could send it to me. Unlike my counterparts, I think it may have potential.

Could you send it to [email protected] ?
    nwa FOREVER!

Hi Matt, I sent the original image file to your email. Thanks for taking a look! I submitted two different edited versions of the file to Airfleets and the second time the screener put an exclamation after the rejection of underexposed! I can laugh now, I see how bad it is! And now I'm watching a Billy Wagner meltdown on the mound in the 9th! Thankfully it's only spring training!

Great edit Matt! The original overexposed one could have been checked by looking at the histogram. There would be a spike at 255 (white).
    I'm learning to fly, around the clouds. But what goes up must come down. - Tom Petty