Thread: Tranquility Bay Q&A

Tranquility Bay Q&A

I was sent there in Febuary 2002 by my folks. I was at the time living at our house in Sarasota, Florida. Really as far as what I did to get there. I would file that stuff under normal teenager things. I experimented with substances, of course stayed out from morning till the following morning one too many times, had girls over, partied a bit but still did fantastic in school. My folks when I was a teen were extremely conservative compared to the way they are bringing my sister up and were not as one might call it supportive of my actions. The night before I left my dad took me to see Blackhawk down which was strange. He normally when he is even at their house down there is not even home. Normally he plays golf or went out on his boat. Eh so what he wants to hang out. So we went and saw it expecting that in two days we were coming back to NY so I could go back to school. Low and behold at like 250 in the morning my escourts were there. This 6'1 245 pound guy named Chris who I actually stay in touch with to this day and someone else. My clothes were in a tub and my mom and dad were there. I guess they use the fact that your not coherinet at that time of morning normally to avoid resistance. They put you in cuffs for that added security "just in case" and we went to IHOP for some grub. At 0600 we were on a Delta 757 to ATL to catch the morning AirJamaica flight to MoBay flight 57 if memory is still clear. It was named Spirit of Maderville. On another note the service on Air Jamaica was AMAZING. It was still a very degradeing experince but Chris's dad was a NFL football coach of some sort in Chicago years back so we got along pretty well. When we landed in Jamaica and cleared customs I was handed off to people from the school. My parents forwared a "commitment letter" to the school to give to me for the bus ride to St. Elizabeth which was a fairly long one to say the least and hair raiseing as well. When you get to the gates of the school it looks all cheery but I can tell you it was much less. I was sort of in shock still at that point . The kids there are not those you would want your little Johnney to hang out with that is for sure. There were mostly kids from the US there. There were kids from Japan, Grand Cayman had a few, UK, Russia, Canada, and transfers from other schools as well. Once I got acclimated to everything which took a while i became one of the smart asses. I guess some things don't change though. I got in my fair share of trouble there. I spent a cumulative time through my time in Jamaica of about 4 months in Observation for various reasons includeing covering a riot attempt . We almost got closed down at one point because a girl who had just arrived there killed herself. Some pretty serious ****. I do not see why to this day that was a reason to resort to such things but I guess she was not right with herself. Showers there all year round were outdoor with well water. When the wells were dry in drought we took "bucket showers" You pretty much get a bucket and a cloth with cold water out in the outdoor community shower and the clock starts rolling. Food was crap. I did become a lover of Jerk pork, chicken and fried plantains with festivals though while i lived there. THe one thing that stuck with me were thse tapes we listend to. People like Zig Zigglar, Anthony Robbins, Dpok Chopra and Earl Nightngale. That stuff really is amazingly useful in my career thus so far. I had my fair share of ass kicking at that place. Fights were pretty common there. Some of the clientel there was of quite high up stature. The daughter of the ownert of Dart Styrafoam was there. James Carbonele whos grandfather was the pres of Goya or somthing was there. Some kid related to Texas Instremunts was there. I mean serious stuff. Spoiled little brats. There is alot I could talk about. Ask specifics though.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Thanks, this really peaks my interest for some reason!

How old were you when this happened? (2002), when did you get out and how many years did you spend there? Do you feel the experience was more beneficial, or more hurtful? Do you hold any sort of grudge against your parents for sending you? What was the "riot attempt"? At any point were you seriously upset, as in nearly crying or even crying? If your kids were out of line, would you consider this "school"?
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Thanks, this really peaks my interest for some reason!

How old were you when this happened? (2002), when did you get out and how many years did you spend there? Do you feel the experience was more beneficial, or more hurtful? Do you hold any sort of grudge against your parents for sending you? What was the "riot attempt"? At any point were you seriously upset, as in nearly crying or even crying? If your kids were out of line, would you consider this "school"?
    I was there through till Feb. 2004 than I moved to Utah to graduate high school at a mormon academy. I would say it changed my outlook on life. Beneficial per se no. I think that it was overkill in that sense for me. I would say yes there is some hurt there. I missed out on alot of things. I guess at times I do hold a grudge but I also see the fact that they were doing what they saw was best at the moment for me. Whether true or not I cannot say still. The riot attempt was pretty much 60 out of 120 of the guys who had decided Jay Kay (what an origional name) needed to go and made shanks etc... The whole idea was based on a similar event at a sister school in Costa Rica of our that was a success to an extent. It was in the works for about a month and a half and about a day prior to the planned event which would have been in Feb. 2003 if I recall accurately someone ratted and the whole place was placed on lockdown. No one lft rooms for like a full week and two kids were actually arrested by the Jamican police. One being from the island Mike Blair and the other on from Arizona but he got sent home from there. The Embassey came in and investigated than left and back to normal. As far as getting to the point of upset. Everyone did there. That was just somthing that came with acceptance of the situation really I think there for most. That and a mix of being homesick and thousands of miles from home. While your there as per policy you were not allowed to talk on the telephone to your family or see them at all untill certain status which I never attained was reached. In the cumulative time i was there I spoke on the phone two times for holidays and saw my parnets once for two days at a seminar there. I kissed the ground at CLT when I landed on a US 757 back in the states for the first time. When I got to school in Utah it was the first hot indoor shower in about two years. Oh and on another note I left T.B. with the T.B. infection. Not the full blown disease but I will forever test positive for T.B. when given the test. I carry a little yellow card issued by CDC Utah for that. I graduated in July 04' from High school and started college right away in Florida where I began my aviation career.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

oh 15 through till I was 17

What is T.B. disease? Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. I can understand how all of that would be hard for you. I don't know how long I would be able to take it.

So, you never reached level "3" which is where you are able to call home? What happened? Did you turn 18?
    nwa FOREVER!

No I was a smart ass. I got a kick out of firing up staff etc... so I made two a few times but for the most part I just busted my ass in school to speed my education along and such. Teburculosis is what T.B. is. Remeber how for school they used to prick your wrist with a little needle? That is the test for T.B. I had to go for lung X-rays and there were all sorts of little dots in my lungs. I turned 18 the end of 2004 so I was home. My parents realized that the place was not worth it anymore really.
    I am pretty involved in trying to get the school closed. Diffrent groups and organization etc...

Well, that really answers my questions, if anyone else wants to chime in, I am sure that would be OK.

Thanks for sharing.
    nwa FOREVER!

Good story, but my only comment is...

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.

What?
    nwa FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by nwafan20
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D.

What?
    Phil means use paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    But that would interupt his "stream of consciousness", or in Ryan's case, "stream of unconsciousness"

Quote Originally Posted by moose135
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76
    But that would interupt his "stream of consciousness", or in Ryan's case, "stream of unconsciousness"
    No your wrong Moose, in Ryan's case its an altered consciousness. :twisted:

:mrgreen:

Very interesting. One of my close friends is interested in this kind of stuff, he was explaining it to me a while ago, and, to tell you the truth, I only half believed him. But right now I'm starting to re-think.

I've got a question...where/what was this school you came to in Utah? Was it an actual high school, a private school, or some other form of school?

Glad to see you got out of that place. It doesn't sound nice. At all.

It was a private school in St. George so beautifully close to Vegas.