Thread: Aides: Pace won't apologize for gay remark

Aides: Pace won't apologize for gay remark

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070313/ap_ ... itary_gays

Was his remark out of line?

I'm sure there are politicians who are out there who have bashed Christians and there was no backlash, but I know this is different.

Thoughts?
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

Well he is entitled to have his opinion but while in uniform his personal opinion means squat. I think he's a raging narrow minded moron whose thinking is that of the 1950s. His beliefs have nothing to do with someone's ability to perform their duties. Even the argument that others might feel uncomfortable, that's bull to. If the person isn't making advances towards other men then what’s the issue? You can have just as an uncomfortable setting if a man or women were making advances while on duty. Honestly this has nothing to do with the topic but its A$$holes like this why we are losing this war. Their thinking overall is so backward and old fashion that they can't realize this isn't the regular war. Glen Beck was right when he said, "We will never win another war."

Do I disagree with his views? Of course.

But, I didn't find his views to be hateful, but I found them to be more of a political stance on gays, which I understand, for him, is actually motivated by his religious beliefs.

The difference between others who might say the same thing is that General Pace is not saying this outwardly, promoting hateful views. If he was telling people they were wrong (he was approached about his views, keep in mind) or was actively trying to change the rules, then I'd say he was REALLY in the wrong.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

ehhh, he's a Marine, what do you expect?

But seriously, I don't think he was trying to be hateful, he was taking a political stance using his beliefs; which he shouldn't have done, especially as a 4 star general.

On a somewhat related note, don't be surprised if sometime within the next 10-15 years gays are allowed in the military. It will eventually happen, the question is when....

Quote Originally Posted by USAF Pilot 07
    ehhh, he's a Marine, what do you expect?

But seriously, I don't think he was trying to be hateful, he was taking a political stance using his beliefs; which he shouldn't have done, especially as a 4 star general.

On a somewhat related note, don't be surprised if sometime within the next 10-15 years gays are allowed in the military. It will eventually happen, the question is when....
    Four years tops, I just have this feeling the Dems are going to get the Whitehouse in 08 and if they still control congress watch out....

I met him on one occasion (no we arent related, his family is from Abruzzo, my family is from Bari). He is a very principaled, respectful individual. Im sure he would have never shared his personal convictions unless directly asked, as he was. That being stated, I think it would have been more wise on his part to not say anything given his position and I too disagree with his outdated views, but I doubt very much he said anything out of hate.