Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JeffM talking out of his rear end about JFK terminal

I'm with you on this one Mark - go for it. If the PA says nothing, end the day happy. If the PA tells you to stop, then stop and go on your way. I've been approached by PAPD in T4 about photographing airside and they just told me (perhaps in a not so nice manner) to stop. So I did and went on my way. They can't arrest you for something that isn't illegal. That said, stay away from TSA, security checkpoints, and customs/immigration facilities; those I have heard are quite stringent about cameras.
    Check out my jetPhotos collection
    Check out my jetVideos collection

NEENER NEENER, Tom! :)

Adding to the fun...JFK and LGA sit on city-owned land (not sure who owns EWR) which the PA leases from NYC. I don't think that matters too much though.

Ultimately, shooting through windows sucks anyway, so I don't know why this is such a big deal. Unless you happen to be at the airport waiting for a flight and you want to play with your camera to kill time, there's no good reason to be shooting in a terminal. :)
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

The Port Authority does not own the airports.

They work on a lease From the city of New York.

The Port Authority has a de facto "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

So, when you start "asking" to take pictures at terminals, that might work for you or against you personally. I can 100% understand people asking if they are getting positive reinforcement. Overall though it is weakening everyoness' hand. (probably).

It is hard to maintain that the Port Authority has a "no photography" policy if it only written on the wind.

My opinion is the Port Authority generally prefers to discourage photography. I doubt they see anything in it for them to have spotters crawling around the airports.

Port Authoritiy is rather shrewd.

New Jersey Transit lost their silly "No Photography" rules in court.

MTA was going to lose their case and caved.

For the Port Authority to be successful in "banning" photography, they pretty much count on folks flushing their rights down the toilet and having you buy into the security nonsense.

[No, I am not saying we have an absolute "Right" to photograph on airport property, but I am saying we have every right to question the wisdom of any rules set forth by the Port Authority. Its not simply their way or the highway.]

Now, Terminal 4 for example at JFK is admiistered by a private firm that is a bit more explicit in banning photography. Slightly different issue here, but clearly they need to tolerate all the passengers taking their snapshots of course. What is their alternative? Arrest passengers? At the end of the day, it makes *their* rule quite silly, becasue clearly it either IS or IS NOT a security issue.

Feel free to disagree... :)

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner
    It is hard to maintain that the Port Authority has a "no photography" policy if it only written on the wind.
    Dude, few can emulate such poetic prowess. 8) 8)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187