Thread: Them Florida Boys... (A380 Planning Thread)

Them Florida Boys... (A380 Planning Thread)

So the other day I was talking to Justin Idle and we came to the conclusion that FL isn't cold enough and that there just aren't enough A380's in the skies around TPA (when where there ever be?) So we've decided to be in attendence on the 19th to witness a bit of history. I'm sure there'll be a good crowd out there. Of course we'll be there courtesy of Mr. Spellman (god help me).

My question is, I havn't been spotting at JFK since the emergence of the Costco situation. Are there any other good 31L spots? Just wondering, I'm sure we'll get some advice as to what runway she'll land on well in advance. Looking forward to seeing the NYC crew again. Later.

there are parking lots all up and downt he street that Costco is on. Yo don't necessarily need to go to Costco by any means.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    31L would have to be Inwood park, at that time the sun will be a tad high but hopefully workable. Is she lands on the right I am going to Costco cause if you let her pass you and shoot her over the water the light is better at that time. The Firestone lot or Boston Market at that time is tough. These two spots are more late afternoon places to shoot IMO. I am praying for her to be delayed 2 hours. Let that sun get lower. Though unlikely.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

yeah I wasn't really planning on Costco. I know Idle has been to JFK since we were last there in December so I'm sure he has a better idea than I. All in all though I'm looking forward to coming back.

Keep in mind that we are turning the clocks ahead early this year so instead of sunrise at 6:45 its going to be an hour later. Meaning the sun is going to be an hour later crossing rockaway. The more you go down the more backlit you get. I am not a big fan of Costco either but it's the best bet for trying to get get a fully lit fuselage at midday on that runway config. Which with the clock change is when this thing is coming in. And it's all white to boot.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I will be in Costco more than likely unless I want a different view. However I would assume the plane would land on 31L probably. As thats where the DLH gates are and its also the longer runway.

Senga

Honestly, with a high sun, you want to be set back a little bit more if you cna. Therefore, Firestone would be BETTER than Costco, as it's more side-on.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thai is true......With the A380 that large wing....I can only imagine how over exposed the top would be. Maybe one can pull a little farther back then away from the water. Let just hope we don't get stuck with 22L.....the light at that time of day would be right down the middle of the plane.
    Senga

Honestly, with a high sun, you want to be set back a little bit more if you cna. Therefore, Firestone would be BETTER than Costco, as it's more side-on.
    Tru but the sun rises behind Kmart and moves as the morning progesses. So that is a slight backlit problem. You would have to shoot before the plane gets near Boston Market for the sun to be of any value at that time if you are standing in the firestone lot. That is why I like it after 3 pm which when it's passed you and not so strong. I have a feeling Senga is right and that this thing is landning on the left which would mean the park. At noon also a pain in the tush as Senga would say (as far as the sun) Someone should call LH and Airbus and tell them to either come very early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Much better shooting conditions.

Another problem I am concerned abhout is if this plane comes in at around 1:00pm-130pm it could be in the midde of a runway change. As you all know this happens a lot at JFK aroud this time. I hope we don't get stuck at 22L and then all of a sudden see it land on 31L. I will have my scanners with me as always.
    Senga

Isn't it only certified for certain runways? I thought the weight of it will only allow it on 31L/R?
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

I hope we don't get stuck at 22L
    Actually if it lands at noon or a little after the sun will be in a slightly better spot for shooting it on 22L. We would have to walk down rockaway, my suicide spot would not be good for the sheer size of this whale would be too close. If your back a ways on Rockaway I venture to say you would get a well lit shot. We would have to walk a little but it's worth it. I think this is moot though. I doubt this this thing is landing anywhere but the 31s.

Well in reference to all the info above...I guess it depends on the time of day and weather (go figure lol) I'm guessing everyone will be out way in advance so I'll feel things out when we get there.

I posted this is the other thread as well. With the exception of a quick turn on the 20th to and from ORD, the 380 will be on the ground at JFK between the 19th and the 21st.

March 19 FRA JFK Deutsche Lufthansa
    March 20 JFK ORD JFK Deutsche Lufthansa
    March 21 JFK
    March 21 JFK FRA Deutsche Lufthansa