Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2007

Invites for the AAM event are out....PS... Keep this on the downlow but the Thunderbirds will be there for their dinner event at the same time you all arrive... I would not be suprized if you get a tugged F-16 in red white and blue..... There are still slots available :D

OH, P.S. I will not be there... I will be at work until midnight! :roll:
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Today(Saturday) the temporary arresting cables are being installed, tomorrow(Sunday) they will be certified.

Just got a memo yesterday saying a C-17(That's right, as in the C-17 Globemaster) will be flying into FRG, twice during the week for an hour each day.Don't know where its coming from or where it will park but it should be interesting to see.

The C-17 will probably come in under the callsign "Thunderbird 14".

Any specifics on the days or times for the C17 arrival?
    Shoot first, ask questions later.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Globemaster III, Nice! Huge lumbering aircraft about 100 feet overhead plus unassuming motorists...hmmm. I can already see the mayhem at the intersection of Airport Plaza & 110 if it lands on 14.

Purely hearsay, but I think I heard that C-5's have already been into Republic to lift the sub assemblies of A-10's and machinery to Fairchild's Hagerstown facility. I was a wee little lad at the time so I could be very wrong.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO
    Purely hearsay, but I think I heard that C-5's have already been into Republic to lift the sub assemblies of A-10's and machinery to Fairchild's Hagerstown facility. I was a wee little lad at the time so I could be very wrong.
    I have a friend who was a Republic engineer back in the A-10 days, I'll have to ask him about that the next time I see him. I do remember seeing A-10 fuselages and wings (separately) on flatbed trailers heading down the LIE from FRG to Hagerstown back in the late '70s and early '80s.

Does anyone know where the Thunderbirds do their NYC Photo Flight? I know they fly around the Statue of Liberty for the photo ops, but do they fly as far north as Midtown? I'm just trying to decide whether I should bring my camera to work tomorrow or not. (I'm at 51st and Park)

Thanks,

Steve

T-Birds photo shoot is tuesday Steve. It's bring your camera to work day.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

I've been hearing some talk that the photo flight may have been cancelled, and the Tbirds will just arrive at republic sometime between 1 and 1:50. Still waiting for the official word though.

Also, the C-17 will arrive TUESDAY around 12 NOON. The whole airport will be closed for its arrival due to the sheer size of the thing.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Informant
    Today(Saturday) the temporary arresting cables are being installed, tomorrow(Sunday) they will be certified.
    On which runway are they installing these arresting cables?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_NY
    On which runway are they installing these arresting cables?
    They installed it on the departure end of Rwy 14.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrummanFan
    Also, the C-17 will arrive TUESDAY around 12 NOON. The whole airport will be closed for its arrival due to the sheer size of the thing.

Really? Its about as large, at least lengthwise, as a 757 and they've come into FRG. Didnt think they'd come the whole place down though.

They are so nice to watch manuvering in flight. Saw one turning for the 22s JFK arrival over Glen Cove back in January. You can spot her coming from so far off.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Thanks for posting the info on the C-17 arrival time.

With the cables on only one end I guess we know which runway they'll be using each day.

At 20 feet longer than a 757 the length really isn't a problem, but the wingspan being 55 feet wider might be. Runway length is definitely a non issue as landing field length is listed at 3,000 feet with 160,000lbs of cargo. I've seen it land in almost half that empty.

I'll be there tomorrow around 11:30.
    +++++1970-2006+++++
    Tomcats Forever, Baby!

I'm thinking of contracting a stomach virus tomorrow, which would render me incapable of going to work...

What spot would be best for tomorrow, Home Depot or New Highway? I'm thinking Home depot.
    dfalk.smugmug.com

Why do I always have to travel when cool stuff comes in??? Well I'll be there Sat and Sun to check her out.