Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon Releases EOS-1D Mark III

Quote Originally Posted by pgengler
    Personally, I hope a 40D comes out sooner rather than later. I want to upgrade from my 300D to a newer, better camera and I'd love for a 40D to come out and have the used market be flooded with used 30Ds.
    Having made the upgrade from the 300D to the 30D a few months ago, let me say you won't be disappointed with that upgrade!

its crazy, too bad I wont be getting one. There is actually a TON of new functionality in it, like ability to do on-camera focusing adjustments for individual lenses to correct forward/back focusing. Adds weather sealed flash with the new 580ex II. Li-on batteries (about time). It can act as a usb host, so you can attach usb cards and such for photo stoare and transfer purposes. With the optional wifi module, one can remotely view and compose shots, etc. Shutter is now rated for 300k clicks, etc. It justs goes on. What a crazy feature list

"Live LCD viewfinder"

Just like a Point-and-shoot!

I dont like that one bit, its an SLR!

:D

Quote Originally Posted by madcatimages
    "Live LCD viewfinder"

:D
    its manual focus only, not really meant for most types of photography

"Live LCD viewfinder"

According to the CANON site - it has 45-pt AF, I doubt Canon would come out with a non-AF SLR.

The Live LCD viewfinder is a convenience attribute, (when you have to set the cam on the ground, per se) again one has the viewfinder in which all EOS-1D models offer 100% framing. I speculate Canon wants to market this cam primarily at sport journalists and the reason Canon made this SLR 10.1MP as opposed to say 16+ MP is that in order to accomodate the 10 fps, and large burst rate buffer they had to minimize the resolution/file size of each image. Most Sports Photog's dont need to print out poster sized prints, but rather enough for the average page. But then again, shouldnt that be something for the photographer to decide, perhaps if they wanted to trade off to get higher res and less fps? Maybe someone knows the accurate answer to this...

email i received from canon today

Quote Originally Posted by VikHathi
    According to the CANON site - it has 45-pt AF, I doubt Canon would come out with a non-AF SLR.

The Live LCD viewfinder is a convenience attribute, (when you have to set the cam on the ground, per se) again one has the viewfinder in which all EOS-1D models offer 100% framing.
    What happens is, when you use the live LCD preview, you can't autofocus (this is because the AF sensors need the mirror down, but it flips up for the preview). Autofocus would work when you're not using that feature.

The lack of AF in the live LCD mode has some people wondering just how useful it's going to be. The camera is, in part, a photojournalists camera, and the live preview can be useful for shooting above the heads of crowds (so you can check that your aim is close), but without autofocus in that mode, it seems less useful.
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

I speculate Canon wants to market this cam primarily at sport journalists and the reason Canon made this SLR 10.1MP as opposed to say 16+ MP is that in order to accomodate the 10 fps, and large burst rate buffer they had to minimize the resolution/file size of each image. Most Sports Photog's dont need to print out poster sized prints, but rather enough for the average page. But then again, shouldnt that be something for the photographer to decide, perhaps if they wanted to trade off to get higher res and less fps? Maybe someone knows the accurate answer to this...
    The reason I think that they didn't go to 16+ MP is because they couldn't make a sensor that dense without a whole lot of noise, especially at higher ISOs (and part of the features of the new camera is that it's less noisy at high ISOs). There'll probably be a new 1Ds by the end of the year, with more MP because of the full-frame sensor (the 1D has an APS-H, 1.3x crop sensor).
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Quote Originally Posted by pgengler

The Live LCD viewfinder is a convenience attribute, (when you have to set the cam on the ground, per se) again one has the viewfinder in which all EOS-1D models offer 100% framing.
    What happens is, when you use the live LCD preview, you can't autofocus (this is because the AF sensors need the mirror down, but it flips up for the preview). Autofocus would work when you're not using that feature.

The lack of AF in the live LCD mode has some people wondering just how useful it's going to be. The camera is, in part, a photojournalists camera, and the live preview can be useful for shooting above the heads of crowds (so you can check that your aim is close), but without autofocus in that mode, it seems less useful.
    Ok I see now. I guess that would be good when your trying to get pics over peoples heads.

I have heard alot of talk about a 40D but nothing that I believe yet. I heard about the new MarkIII, but not too much but rumors about a 40D. I am waiting for it as well. My luck when I buy the 30D they will release the 40D.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

Engadget.com posted something from another site last week about someone having found 40D specs allegedly accidentally posted on the Canon Europe site and then quickly removed, but there was no way to verify it. If the specs that were revealed are the real deal (10.1MP, DIGIC II, 5fps burst, dust cleaning), the 40D will be only a slight improvement of the 30D, which wasn't a whole lot different from the 20D.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Thanks for the info Gotham. 10.1 mp with the sensor cleaning is good for me. Not to mention the 5fps for us aviation photogs compared to my 3fps on the rebelXT. Let's hope the rumors are correct.
    Scott Snorteland
    http://www.srsimages.com

An upgrade to the DIGIC III processor would be nice.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

But if they upgraded to the Digic III, it would compete to heavily with the EOS 1D Mark 3.
    nwa FOREVER!

The Mark III has TWO of them though. I guess you're right, though, it would still be a major upgrade. The 5D is probably due for a refresh also, I'd imagine it will get a single DIGIC III.